Alternating ditch lights?

Im looking to buy a new DCC sound equipped loco, but I am looking for ones that have alternating ditch lights when the horn is blown. I know MTH makes some that do (I own one), but im not sure if I want to go with them again...so do any of you know of any other company that makes engines this way? I didnt think Athearn did. Or how hard is it to install your own ditch lights that alternate? Thanks

It's not hard to do it yourself. If you get a Tsunami decoder and wire up the lights to the FX5 and FX6 pads on the board, you'll still have to program it. Decoder Pro is the easiest, but it can be done from the throttle and CVs. I have them written down at work so I can't tell you what they are.

The Athearn Genesis SD70ACes that came out were not wired to flash when the horn was pressed. Once it was wired correctly, you just had to program the board (by the throttle, as one of the CVs isn't in Decoder Pro yet).

It's not hard to do it yourself. If you get a Tsunami decoder and wire up the lights to the FX5 and FX6 pads on the board, you'll still have to program it. Decoder Pro is the easiest, but it can be done from the throttle and CVs. I have them written down at work so I can't tell you what they are.

The Athearn Genesis SD70ACes that came out were not wired to flash when the horn was pressed. Once it was wired correctly, you just had to program the board (by the throttle, as one of the CVs isn't in Decoder Pro yet).

I think they are in the latest Beta version, under the "Tsunami Lighting" tab. I'm not really sure because I haven't got any diesels that need ditch lights.

We don't have the beta version at work. I'll bring home the CVs today and post them here.

Here they are:

CV57 set to 51
CV51 set to 41
CV52 set to 57
CV39 set to 6
CV40 set to 0

Of course the wiring should be one wire to each of the pads of the FX5 and FX6, so say the left ditch light should have one wire going to each FX6 pad, and the right ditch light going to each pad of FX5. The Decoder Pro version we have doesn't have CV57 or CV51 (can't remember now, I forgot to look).

Thanks. The fellow I talked to at Soundtraxx said he didn't use JMRI since he thought it was faster to go to the throttle and do it in Ops Mode.

I may be well off the mark with my answer here as I have no experience of US/Canadian modlling, however I have seen an ad. for Kato SD40-2 locos which have alternating ditch lights which can be switched to steady " on the fly" (whatever that means). Whether they are linked to the whistle I cannot say. May be worth a "Google".

Back