Alco Rs-2

Diesel Power

Using an RS-2 on a modular, would it be appropriate to have the long hood forward and, only a few cars behind it? Or even say four or five. Or would one car be the typical situation?

Thanks

Yes Alco RS units could be operated bidirectional..As far as cars 1 to 30 or more would work regardless which way the unit was operated.

UP ran them long hood forward when they had em and I have some pics somewhere by Don Strack with up to 40 or more cars....
Are you a UP fan or modeler?

Although from an operating standpoint it would not in inappropriate to run an RS-2 either way, if you are modeling some specific prototype you might want to check what their standard practice was. In the early post-transition era some roads considered it correct to run long hood forward for safety and to essentially mimic the physical arrangement of a steam locomotive. Others had no such quams. 'Course, if you're a freelancer, you can set your own standard!

NYW&B

I set my RS11 up to run long hood forward in DCC. If longhood forward is what you want to do, then by all means do it. You didn't mention scale but if you can put an F on the frame by the step you want to use as the front. Then you are set. :D
Greg

Was it the Great Northern who ran them long hood forward
Don't know about Great Northern, but CN did, also true of the short hood high nose GP's. It wasn't until the low short nose came out that the short hood became the front. Probably a carry over from the steam locos where the engine was in front of the cab. Well as for the low nose short hoods, well everyone knows the windshield is at the front. Was that about the time they imported the Volkswagen? :D

Cheers Willis

RS2's F Long Nose Foward

When I was a fireman (later an engineer) for the Penn Central back in 1969 you ran RS3's long nose foward. There's a small F on the front of the long nose. When the brakeman gave you and up and down with the light you went forward toward the F. If he gave you a circular motion with the light you went in reverse. They said they wanted you to run them with the long nose foward because of crossing gate accidents, but after they started getting all the short nose type engines that went out the window.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,Remember that RS2 may have ran long hood forward when it left the yard with the daily local but,it would return short hood forward.You see there was no need to turn this engine regardless which end was the railroad chosen front end.

Rs2's

Guys,Remember that RS2 may have ran long hood forward when it left the yard with the daily local but,it would return short hood forward.You see there was no need to turn this engine regardless which end was the railroad chosen front end.

Because at the time on the NYC Harlem Divison 2 were almost always jumpered together back to back. They were used mostly in passenger service and were cut at North White Plains for an electric P engine that continued on to Grand Central. Later on after the merger they received New Haven FL9's which could run on desiel or electric and the RS3's were phased out, but they still used 2 on freights with the long nose facing out. In the yard and a few local switchers used one.

NYC_George

I seen them work out of Columbus,Ohio with a single unit on urban and other locals same applied to the PRR before the RS units was sent else where..After PC I worked a lot with RS2/3s on urban locals until these units was shipped off.

RS2&3's Long Nose Forward

I seen them work out of Columbus,Ohio with a single unit on urban and other locals same applied to the PRR before the RS units was sent else where..After PC I worked a lot with RS2/3s on urban locals until these units was shipped off.

Hi Brakie
Good to know you worked for the PC. I left the railroad in 1981. The 12 hour yard switchers, the only job I could hold with 12 years seniority, did me in. I would say to the brakeman" are we done yet". He would reply back "just follow the light, just follow the light".

NYC_George

Hi George!
I started on the PRR in 1966 as a brakeman and was laid off by PC in 69...After doing 6 years in the Army I went to work on the C&O as a brakeman under the Chessie banner in '79..FRED took my job in 85.:mad: I really enjoyed the work.

Back