Alabama Rail Gang has first session.

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
I was very fortunate to play host to a fine bunch of Model Railroaders at my Depot today. The ARG is just a tag we put on ourselves as MR's that want to get together once a month at one of our layouts and run trains for fun, compare ideas and dreams, tell a few lies, and eat a lot.

Our very own Grande man, LGM, L&NCastle, and Cjcrescent were here and also Glen and Jimmy of the "Birmingham Wrecking Crew". What a great way to continue friendships started on the forum. Here are a couple of photos I would like to share with you.

Left to right:
L&Ncastle, Glen, Cjcrescent, Jimmy, Grandeman and LGM, the ticket manager:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about a good time! Outstanding:D:D! Real good food, real good fun, and a ton of good fellowship was had by all. The trains weren't bad either, when we could run em!;););)

Gotcha! :p:p:p

Whew! We're back home from the ARG meet. We had a great time guys!!!

Rex, you're a gracious host (with an awesome RR ;) ). CJ, thanks for cooking, it was fantastic. Only problem is, I think I gained about 5 pounds. :eek: William, it was good to see you again and meet Jimmy and Glenn.

LGM's about worn slap out from all the excitement! He dosed half the way home.

It just so happens, I had my camera and snapped a few shots of the fun. ;)

Working the yard.
121432924.gif

More train runnin and tale tellin...
121432913.gif

LGM working the mine. This shot reminds me of Godzilla taking down Tokyo. :D
121432914.gif

And now for a few detail shots:

L&Ncastle's fantastic Southern RR Transfer Cabooses.
121432917.gif

Son, if you'd quit breakin stuff, we wouldn't keep runnin outa weldin rod.
121432922.gif

Grande Geep running light on the second tier of "The Gorge".
121432920.gif

It was fun guys. We're looking forward to next month! :cool:

It was fun guys
Sure looks like it was, Sigh!! It was fun guys nothing like that ever happens around here, but there was about a foot of snow on the ground this morning, needless to say that took care of my day.

Great photos, they're appreciated.

Cheers Willis

Wow Rex, you sure know how to throw a party!:D I wish my local MRR friends would join the forum, but most of them "don't believe" in the internet (probably heard too many horror stories about what sometimes goes on across the street).

Cjcrescent said:
.......The trains weren't bad either, when we could run em!;););)Gotcha! :p:p:p

Yeah well, what do you expect with a confused Dispatcher and novice Engineers.:D What was interesting was when we had 4 trains all coming together at three double crossovers...from all directions:confused: :eek:

KENL: It was a fun time and I recommend it to all. It was much more relaxed than a club and all we cared about was having a good time. Nothing formal;nothing structured....just fun. Maybe you could talk your friends into just monitoring this forum and they could see that this side of the street has a lot more congenial neighbors.;)

Rex,
Sounds like lots of fun is going down in T-town.:D

I am impressed with your layout. I remember when you were posting
pictures of nothing but benchwork. And it doesn't seem like that long ago.
Retirement must be nice!:D Good luck, Dave

Eric, the only reason we didn't have a loco in the pit is we had CJ cooking and kept the trottles out of his hands:D :D

Hi GatorDave! Nice to see you on the forum again. I have to admit that there are still a lot of naked pine on the layout and some pretty flat real estate to be tended to. Grande man was just polite in not taking shots of those areas.:eek: :D

Rex: Yeah, I did the cooking. ;)But I even ran a couple of trains. :eek::eek: Didn't even put one in the pit. Even got my mitts on one of the Tsunami's and in my opinion, that decoder makes the BLI steam decoder sound rather poor. A nice deep bass sound with that speaker you chose to put in it. All I can say is WOW!:D:D

Cjcrescent said:
Rex: Yeah, I did the cooking. ;)But I even ran a couple of trains. :eek::eek: Didn't even put one in the pit. Even got my mitts on one of the Tsunami's and in my opinion, that decoder makes the BLI steam decoder sound rather poor. A nice deep bass sound with that speaker you chose to put in it. All I can say is WOW!:D:D

Rex, Ya gotta use people in their strengths. I'm thinking you need to pull CJ outa the cab and keep him on as head cook. He REALLY found his calling there. :D

As for the Tsunami, I agree, they sound GREAT! Now, if they'll just get the diesel version out... ;)

The first session of the ARG was indeed a fun time had by all. Rex,thanks again for having us over,I cannot think of a time when I have had such fun. The stories,uhm "lies" were real knee slappers.:p GMan thanks for posting the photos,they look awesome. I too look forward to the next time when we meet,I hope it is as much fun as the last. CJ Cresent,who knew you could cook so well? Until later. Have fun. Also,if anyone wants to know a little about the transfer cabooses,let me know.William.:)

Thank you Stan. Sure wished you could have made it, but hopefully you will be able to catch a meet before too long.

CSX_road_slug said:
Stan - Do you ever have to work on Sundays? Maybe the next ARG meeting can happen on a Sunday afternoon...

Sunday might present even more problems. I'm hoping Stan will be able to make it to next month's meeting though. I'm not sure on the date yet, but it'll probably be mid to late Jan. I'm thinking the 14th or 21st if everyone can make one of those.

CSX_road_slug said:
Stan - Do you ever have to work on Sundays? Maybe the next ARG meeting can happen on a Sunday afternoon...

KenL - No I don't work on Sundays. We absolutely have to be off four days a month ( FAA Regulations ) If we fail to do so, we can get into trouble. They don't have to twist my arm to get me to take off, I'm always glad to. :)

Eric - I'll try to work out something on down the line. I told Rex and Carey I'm sure I can learn a lot from you guys on MRR. I'm still the " new kid "on the block. BTW. Do you work under the same or about the same regulations as we do ?

Stan.

BMRR said:
Do you work under the same or about the same regulations as we do ?

No, we're under FAR 91. I handle plenty of your make parts though...;)

Let me know if you can make it this month. Our RR is much smaller than Rex's, but I know we'll have some fun. Hope to see you then!

One thing to note about the ARG: Being part of all this doesn't mean you have to play host. Some will not have the space...which is understandable. We can meet at anyone's Depot or somewhere else.The idea though, is for us to meet up about once a month and enjoy good friendship and a lot of good fun with trains or train related activities...maybe even railfanning. What a Blast!

Rex,

Finally had a chance to look up the ARG on the forum since speaking with you and Carey at the hobby shop the other day. Nice looking layout! Glenn has invited me out to his next session ...looking forward to it!

Sam

Back