Aircraft

SF 4th District

I've been looking around for 1:87th aircraft. All I seem to find is WW2 military German aircraft and German vehicles. Recently I cam across more current military (stealth bomber, stealth fighter, Blue Angels, F-15's, helicopter, etc. These are actually 1:72 scale. Is it that enough difference to keep the HO people away from these?

I also saw a 1:87th scale Los Angeles County Fire Dept Bell Ranger helicopter (yellow/ehite paint scheme).

I'm going to look into these and see if they are still available.
David

Herpa came out with a Cessna 172 recently I believe - but at $45 a pop there weren't that many people interested in it.

The airplane/military model scales don't seem to mix terribly well with model railroad ones - Off the top of my head, only 1/48th scale matches a common model railroad scale (O). Otherwise you've got 1/32nd, 1/72 (too big for HO), and 1/144 (too big for "N").

I recently saw a number of true, 1:87 aircraft on eBay. I think they were either Revell, or Monogram. Kits, of course. There's a small number of CH53, and UH1 helicopters that I've seen also, those are '60s-'70s era.

I've been looking around for 1:87th aircraft. All I seem to find is WW2 military German aircraft and German vehicles. Recently I cam across more current military (stealth bomber, stealth fighter, Blue Angels, F-15's, helicopter, etc. These are actually 1:72 scale. Is it that enough difference to keep the HO people away from these?

I also saw a 1:87th scale Los Angeles County Fire Dept Bell Ranger helicopter (yellow/ehite paint scheme).

I'm going to look into these and see if they are still available.
David
1/72 scale is about 20% larger than HO scale, so it might be a bit too much of a difference for some folks. Contrasting different scale models is useful for forcing perspective (i.e., making the smaller scale models appear to be farther in the distance), so if the intent is to make the railroad models appear to be farther into the background, I'd say the 1/72 scale/1/87 scale contrast would be effective. However, if you'd like the aircraft to appear to be in the background, a smaller scale like 1/100 might be a better choice.

Like Liz Allen is fond of saying, you can always roll your own!
02.jpg

http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/fuselage/800.htm

A work in progress of course but someday might be a model of a 737-800 fuselage on its way to Renton to get its wings.

If you are looking for aircraft that you would find at a small local field, IHC makes a kit that has Piper Cherokee 140, Piper super cub and a cessna 150 in it. You get 2 of each type. My only problem is comming up with the 20 ft of layout space for a scale 1/3 mile runway LOL

I found some downloadable card models on this sight. I noticed there is a 1/72 Cessna.Even if the models aren't all that great at least it will give you an idea of the size. Who knows you may even find something there for free. I have built a few card models that looked pretty decent. I buy poster board, cut it to regular size sheets and print it on that. Here's the link
http://forum.zealot.com/downloads.php Hope this helps you out. Ron

Back