AHM / Rivarossi parts

Ericsauto

Hey all. I have an old Challenger 4-6-6-4 AHM / Rivarossi. I want to put a new motor in it and I may need some gear parts. Anyone know of a web site or company that I can get these parts. A company that you might have dealt with and trust would be nice.

Also I want to convert this to DCC and maybe sound. Any comments or suggestions on that?

Thanks

Ebay for original AHM/Rivarossi Parts, if you need part #'s let me know i have the parts book

I have ebay -ed and found a new motor that will work with dcc.

I have a strange problem with it and I think it may be the motor hanging up. Here is the problem;

First the engine as been in a case for over 10 years, i bought it at a show. The plastic drive shaft split when I ran it a long time ago.

I took it apart , cleaned and lubed everything just as normal. I fix the drive shaft by CA gluing it and then bench tested it. I programmed it to " 0 " on my digitrax ( DC mode) and it ran real smooth all around the layout . After running it for a while it would stop only in turns and my DCC system would start blinking like I had a short in the tracks. It would sit for a few seconds and then go again and would stop again in some turns. Again acting like something was shorting out. Seem to get worst even after I rechecked for anything getting stuck in the wheels, dirt, etc.

Again I bench tested with no problems. Put it back on the layout and it would start doing it again. My guess is that the brushes are so old and could be coming apart and shorting the motor or jamming the motor. So I a going to try to put a new motor in it. It is a nice unit and I would hate to just throw it back in the case. I would love to get it running and add DCC and maybe sound to it.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Also I would love to have a parts diagram if yo have one.

Could be the engine or it could be the DC circuit on the Zephyr failing. Try another DC only engine and see if you get the same behavior. The shorts usually show up after about five minutes of running. If you can run another DC engine for about 15 minutes, the Zephyr DC circuit is OK and the problem may indeed by loose motor brushes. If another DC engine does the same thing, it will need a trip back to Digitrax for repair. This not an uncommon failure for the Zephyr, unfortunately.

Have already tried the other DC engine and no problems. I really think it is the motor. Also I think since the Zephyr only has a 2.5 amp supply I am going to upgrade to a 5 amp booster. That will help with the engines drawing too many amps ( I hope)

Eric;

If this is the old Challenger with the motor in the cab, then the problem is not probably, but is the motor. Those old motors were very cheaply made and one of the brushes was actually a cylinder of tightly wound brass mesh, while the other was carbon. After a while the mesh will just start disentergrating, esp. after no maintanence for 10 yrs, and leaving pieces parts caught down inside. Another problem with these was the motor magnets start losing their magnetism. This causes the motor to start drawing higher amperage, loss of power and overheating.

Go ahead and replace the motor with a good can motor. After the new motor is in, be sure to put some more weight in it. With a better motor and more weight it will really be able to run well.

That is what I figured. I have ordered a new motor and I found a site that has a gear box update. I think you are exactly right and I think I can bring this old girl back to life. Any suggestions on a sound/dcc decoder and speaker?

Eric, first thing is to get her running like clockwork on DC. You may find some other issues, like binding rods, that need to be dealt with first. Once it's running good, take a look at a Tsunami. Not a better motor control and sound decoder around for steam. That big tender provides an ideal mounting point for a deep bass reflex speaker too.

Jim,

I have check all of the rod and linkages. Today I ordered a Tsunami decoder and some upgrade gear parts. After looking at digitrax boosters and some other things I have decided to replace my whole DCC system with a NCE radio 5 amp set. I just think Digitrax is confusing sometimes and the NCE is more in line what I want, ease of operation and a better power supply. Bruce at Litchfield Station has been a big help and I trust what he is saying. We both think for me the NCE system will be perfect.
I will give you my opinion after I get the system and I will keep you all posted on bringing back to life my Challenger 4-6-6-4

Looks like I will be selling off all my Digitrax stuff on e-bay

Eric, both NCE and Digitrax make quality systems, so a lot of it comes down to what you like, the old Ford vs. Chevy debate. :) I'm sure you'll be happy with the NCE unit. The old Challenger should be a real hit once it has the Tsunami installed.

Jim , I hate to throw the Challenger back in case and stare at it. I have been staring at it in a case for over 15 years and I am excited to see it run and make some noise.

Never had a real issue with Digitrax , just feel I need to upgrade the Zephyr and looking at all my choices the NCE I feel may be what fits my needs better. Again I will report on my evaluation after I am done.

Damn this hobby cost me a fortune . LOL

Just re-motored my 4-6-6-4 AHM/ Rivarossi Challenger last night and all I can say is " WOW" what a difference. This thing has come back to life. The project this weekend will be putting the Tsunami Sound Decoder in it and turning it into DCC. ( Should be in the Mail today)

I am also going to re-gear it. It will lower the top end speed by 1/3 but will give it some serious pulling power. I will try to post some pix on what I am doing by this weekend. Also should have my new NCE system in. Should be a good weekend to work on trains. :D

Back