AHM Repair Shop

brasshat

I'm a newbie on this forum so please bear with me while I get accustomed to posting and responding in cyberspace. I am returning to the hobby after a 50 year hiatus and am looking for ideas to incorporate some of the old kits I bought way back when but never built. One is the Repair Shop by AHM shown in the attached photo. I'm modeling the ATSF during the transition era from 1947 - 1952 and thought I'd put this over a wheel track coming off the turntable. Has anyone else used this on their layout, either as I suggested or in another service yard configuration? I've scoured the web looking for photos and can't find any resembling a prototype or of its use on any model layout. I'd like to stay as prototypical as possible and fear it might look too European or too contemporary for my time period and southwest locale. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
AHM Repair Shop.jpg

First, welcome to the forum, you'll find us a friendly bunch. In regards your query, I'm no help there being in the UK, but someone will be along who will no doubt be able to help.

I'm modeling the ATSF during the transition era from 1947 - 1952 and thought I'd put this over a wheel track coming off the turntable. Has anyone else used this on their layout, either as I suggested or in another service yard configuration? I've scoured the web looking for photos and can't find any resembling a prototype or of its use on any model layout. I'd like to stay as prototypical as possible and fear it might look too European or too contemporary for my time period and southwest locale. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Not even certain, I've seen that model before. I've always liked the "MinikitS" line even before they became AHM. Looks interesting. I would say definitely not too contemporary, but the style is another issue. Doesn't yell European at me like some of those models do, but doesn't look southwestern either. Those monster windows would bake people inside in the summer time. Nothing says you couldn't block some of them out. Railroads built all sorts of structures on turntable leads, so I am pretty sure you could work it in as some sort of utility/shop building.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie on this forum so please bear with me while I get accustomed to posting and responding in cyberspace. I am returning to the hobby after a 50 year hiatus and am looking for ideas to incorporate some of the old kits I bought way back when but never built. One is the Repair Shop by AHM shown in the attached photo. I'm modeling the ATSF during the transition era from 1947 - 1952 and thought I'd put this over a wheel track coming off the turntable. Has anyone else used this on their layout, either as I suggested or in another service yard configuration? I've scoured the web looking for photos and can't find any resembling a prototype or of its use on any model layout. I'd like to stay as prototypical as possible and fear it might look too European or too contemporary for my time period and southwest locale. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 159003
I use one on my layout. I weathered it up a bit. Nice kit. Deceivingly small

I like that kit.
Don't have one but who can argue with brick structures. :)
Welcome back to the hobby. There's no expiration dates.

Back