Advice on kit-building

johnb

After a 40 year absence I want to build a small shelf style HO switching style layout. I have some old kits
that I bought and never got around t assembling. Back then "super-glue" was the preferred adhesive but I am wondering if something else is used now. Thanks, John

There are a bunch of adhesives today, including (with no personal monetary interest) Gorilla Glue of various formulas, several two-part appoxies, and, yes, CA's (super-glues) of various consistencies. And there is Walther's Goo, which is rubber-based, and can be used for a number of applications. Your LHS and hardware store can probably supply most, except for Goo, which is probably only available at the model railroad hobby shop or directly from Walther's.

First of all -- Welcome to the forum!
A couple of pointers on working with wood. I have wooden construction over 50 years old which was assembled with Elmers and Goo! (Goo takes a little longer to harden) Today, for wood construction, I would use the "Gel" CA or the "Yellow" carpenters glue.

Yep, Carpenters glue and Gel CA (the slower curing type) for wood. For plastics I like the Tamiya liquid plastic cements, with CA as required. Remember that CA is great in tension but lousy in shear. I think a license should be required for Goo. If I had a dime for every freight car I've seen ruined with that stuff I would be somewhere drinking a lot of drinks with little umbrellas in them!

Thanks guys. I'm going through my stuff and trying to figure out what's still good and what isn't. I'll need to do most of my purchases online, the hobby shops around here have been closed for years. John

Goo or Pliobond is good for white metal and wood. White or yellow glue is good for wood. Testors, Tenax and Plastruct liquid solvents are good for plastic. CA can be used for mixed materials.

In a pinch a solvent available at a hardware store, MEK, laquer thinner, acetone, can be used for plastic. They have varying degrees of hazard and should be used sparingly in a well ventilated area. Most of the commercial solvents contain some component of those chemicals.

If you want to date yourself, how many of us used Duco or Ambroid cement in their youth? Duco cement was a staple for building balsa wood airplanes.

Back