Advice converting dc locos to dcc

Resqnu

I purchased 2 new Bachmann Kits a month ago to start our train venture. Since I can planning on converting my track to dcc (non-sound), can anyone offer a little assistance with converting these locos to dcc. I feel comfortable with soldering, but can't seem to find much info on converting these locos. From what I have found, my guess is they require hard wiring, but looking for help. There is no info for model numbers. I am attaching photos for the first 2, the other hp-38-2 will be here on Friday. These locos seem to be 2 hp-40-2 and 1 gp38-2.

Am I better off buying dcc units or installing a dcc decoder, non sound?

Attachments

• GP-40-2001.JPG
    GP-40-2001.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 293
  • GP-40-2002.JPG
    GP-40-2002.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 277
  • GP-40-2003.JPG
    GP-40-2003.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 281
  • GP-40-2004.JPG
    GP-40-2004.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 302
I can't see too clearly in the photos, but from a post on the Bachmann forum, these recent Bachmann GP40s have solder points marked on the PC board that would probably make the installation pretty easy if you look up the wire color coding on a hard-wire decoder. However, I'm not sure if I would recommend this as a first DCC install. A middle step would be to buy a unit with an 8-pin socket. The recent Bachmann GP30s in the 62xxx number series have these.

But try getting hold of a hard wire decoder and look carefully at the instructions.

I can't see too clearly in the photos, but from a post on the Bachmann forum, these recent Bachmann GP40s have solder points marked on the PC board that would probably make the installation pretty easy if you look up the wire color coding on a hard-wire decoder. However, I'm not sure if I would recommend this as a first DCC install. A middle step would be to buy a unit with an 8-pin socket. The recent Bachmann GP30s in the 62xxx number series have these.

But try getting hold of a hard wire decoder and look carefully at the instructions.

I will look into those. Was just trying to save a little money and install decoders in these and experiment any the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old are these locos?
I looked on Digitrax and they don't mention them.

I don't know. I purchased 2 new kits from my LHS a month ago. I have looked on Digitrax and NCE sites and don't see any references to these. The web is not turning up much as well.

I would take them back to your LHS, and ask them how old they are. And return them for some DCC ready units with the 8 pin plug connectors.

Edit: I see Bachmann sells these units with DCC non-sound installed. So they must be new. Ask your hobby shop if they have the DCC units.

Like these: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP38-2-UP-p/bac-61116.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-DCC-BNSF-p/bac-60305.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-DCC-SF-p/bac-60304.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I converted a Walthers engine to DCC a few weeks ago, and everything looked almost identical to the running gear and motor in the photos above. I simply unsoldered the motor wires and pickup wires from the board, removed it, wired the left pickups to each other, then the right pickups. I soldered the red wire on the decoder harness to one pickup set, and the black wire to the other. I then soldered the orange decoder wire to the bottom motor wire, and the grey decoder wire to the top motor wire. If you do this, you have converted the engine to DCC. Obviously, make sure all the wires are insulated.
After you verify what you did works like it should, you can now wire front and rear headlights, soldering LEDs or bulbs to the blue and white (front) and yellow and white (rear) decoder wires.

Since I can planning on converting my track to dcc (non-sound), can anyone offer a little assistance with converting these locos to dcc. I feel comfortable with soldering, but can't seem to find much info on converting these locos. From what I have found, my guess is they require hard wiring, but looking for help.
Yes. Hard wired for the Santa Fe unit. I think it looks like a fairly easy conversion. It would involve de-soldering all the wires from those existing boards and discarding them. Then you would replace them with decoders of the same format (e.g. NCE DASR or Digitrax DH165AO). At the same time I would also replace those big grain of wheat bulbs with LEDs.

The BNSF unit looks like it might have a downward facing NMRA 8 pin plug on the underside of the board. See that cluster of 8 contacts around where is says C4 and C5? The traces would say no it is a coincidence, but can't tell what it really is from the photo.

I would take them back to your LHS, and ask them how old they are. And return them for some DCC ready units with the 8 pin plug connectors.

Edit: I see Bachmann sells these units with DCC non-sound installed. So they must be new. Ask your hobby shop if they have the DCC units.

Like these: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP38-2-UP-p/bac-61116.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-DCC-BNSF-p/bac-60305.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-DCC-SF-p/bac-60304.htm

Can see taking them back after 30 days and my son loves the BNSF and all the rolling stock that comes with the kits..

I will look into those models, but would like to try to convert first.

I converted a Walthers engine to DCC a few weeks ago, and everything looked almost identical to the running gear and motor in the photos above. I simply unsoldered the motor wires and pickup wires from the board, removed it, wired the left pickups to each other, then the right pickups. I soldered the red wire on the decoder harness to one pickup set, and the black wire to the other. I then soldered the orange decoder wire to the bottom motor wire, and the grey decoder wire to the top motor wire. If you do this, you have converted the engine to DCC. Obviously, make sure all the wires are insulated.
After you verify what you did works like it should, you can now wire front and rear headlights, soldering LEDs or bulbs to the blue and white (front) and yellow and white (rear) decoder wires.

thanks, hope something like that works for mine. I've read some locos need the motor insulated from the chassis. Would you think these need that or try what you said? Any decodes you would recommend?

Yes. Hard wired for the Santa Fe unit. I think it looks like a fairly easy conversion. It would involve de-soldering all the wires from those existing boards and discarding them. Then you would replace them with decoders of the same format (e.g. NCE DASR or Digitrax DH165AO). At the same time I would also replace those big grain of wheat bulbs with LEDs.

The BNSF unit looks like it might have a downward facing NMRA 8 pin plug on the underside of the board. See that cluster of 8 contacts around where is says C4 and C5? The traces would say no it is a coincidence, but can't tell what it really is from the photo.

both of those would be awesome if it goes that easy. Any preference between those 2 decodes? I will purchase one tonight and get it coming my way to try.
I will disassemble the BNSF and post a pic shortly.

I've read some locos need the motor insulated from the chassis. Would you think these need that or try what you said?
They look like the motors are already isolated. See the two wires that seem to come out of the middle of the Santa Fe unit. I'm guessing those are the motor leads.

Here is the new GP 38-2 and board for input on converting to dcc

d53ac46cb4e70e4c20f354b22f55dafa.jpg

c95f861f6a48f895412dcfe153af6d58.jpg

Iron Horse. Many Thanks!

Could you recommend a decoder for each of the 3 locos? I will order tomorrow. More than likely going with NCE DCC system.

Would a NCE dash work for both the Santa fe and BNSF?
Also, which NCE would work for the GP38-2 with plug?

Back