Adding power pickups/wires

There are several of my engines, including the 2-8-8-2 that I am about to remotor, that could use some more power pickups. I'm constantly fighting jerky engines, and dropouts on DCC. I would like to add some more power pickups to these engines to help with this problem. What materials are generally used, or are there companies that make new pickups? I've looked around a bit, and haven't found much. I wasn't sure what to search, though.

Visit:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1905/tender_wipers/

obj17geo10pg1p33.jpg

Thank you if you visit
Harold

EDIT: Adding pickups to loco at bottom:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/

obj130geo100pg1p33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links. I should have mentioned I am planning on retrofitting some IHC and Rivarossi HO locomotives. I really like those retro fits on the Bachmann 4-4-0 (knind of makes me want to do the same to my two). Any idea what kind of material those Kadee springs are made of? Copper of some sort, but I don't know what grade has that springy property. I don't want to use the Kadee springs because all of mine are in use on cars (and I actually need some more for some cars) and they are expensive.

Thanks for the links. I should have mentioned I am planning on retrofitting some IHC and Rivarossi HO locomotives. I really like those retro fits on the Bachmann 4-4-0 (knind of makes me want to do the same to my two). Any idea what kind of material those Kadee springs are made of? Copper of some sort, but I don't know what grade has that springy property. I don't want to use the Kadee springs because all of mine are in use on cars (and I actually need some more for some cars) and they are expensive.
They are about $2.50 a bag of 12.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kadee-HO-Centering-Springs-p/380-634.htm

They are phosphor bronze. It is the easiest way of making wipers. I have made them from PB sheet and they never worked.

Harold

There are several of my engines, including the 2-8-8-2 that I am about to remotor, that could use some more power pickups. I'm constantly fighting jerky engines, and dropouts on DCC. I would like to add some more power pickups to these engines to help with this problem. What materials are generally used, or are there companies that make new pickups? I've looked around a bit, and haven't found much. I wasn't sure what to search, though.
I just use the springy brass wire. I drill two holes through the truck frame so that the wire when inserted just brushes the axle. I solder the power take off onto a wire that connects the two brush wires. This keeps them from rotating away from the pressure of the axle. It also means each truck can only pick up power from one rail :(. But super cheap and quick.

Getting all the tender wheels "live" makes a big difference in performance. The articulation of the tender trucks makes all contact all the time.

I ran an MDC old time 2-8-0 for years with just the all the tender wheels "live". Never had a stall even on Atlas dead frogs.

Harold

I tried this setup over the years with mixed success. Most wipers I've seen are phosphor-bronze. A better material for springiness that retains tension is beryllium-copper. But it has become harder to find due to EPA issues with machining this material.

I tried 'springy brass wire' and nickle-silver trolley wire, but found that they wear down quickly if they are really making any useful contact. Especially if you like to run lots of "laps" as entertainment.

The problem is that good contact depends on more tension -- that adds more friction and wear. The friction is a big issue with tenders and cabooses that need more weight added so the wheels still roll and don’t just skid along on the track. If you back off the tension, then the contact becomes intermittent. Sometimes you can get it just right. Some (made in China) RTR models I’ve bought failed in this regard – probably from production dimensional tolerances, mind-dead assemblers and poor quality control.

A friend of mine has had good luck with track slider wipers. I suspect that would only work with excellent trackwork. I hope to try these on cabooses that need lighting. Or, I might just take advantage of the empty space and put a small rechargeable battery in them and rely on the occasional contact of wheel wipers.

I've added the Kadee spring wipers to most of my steamers and it has turned dogs into solid performers.

Back