Adding a Siding to my Mainline

BUT WAIT A MINUTE...

If I cheat on the center-to-center parallel track spacing, making it 3-3/4" instead of the recommended 4" to 4-1/2", I WILL have enough room for 2 mains and a siding on my 12" shelf, with good clearance between the cars on the main and the siding!

Can I proceed?

Hal

Last edited:
BUT WAIT A MINUTE...

If I cheat on the center-to-center parallel track spacing, making it 3-3/4" instead of the recommended 4" to 4-1/2", I WILL have enough room for 2 mains and a siding on my 12" shelf, with good clearance between the cars on the main and the siding!

Can I proceed?
I do not know for certain. I know in HO I often go below the recommended separation. You are only talking 1/4" here. I cannot imagine it is that critical - ON THE STRAIGHT. Curves would be a whole different story. Can't you just set some of the equipment side by side and see what the minimum would be?

Yes, Horseman...I've done that and there IS enough room! The siding will be on a straight shelf on one side of the layout, not on a curve.

The siding itself is only 26" long between the entrance and exit turnouts, and is slightly bowed toward the adjacent mainline.

The closest approach between siding and mainline is 4 inches center-to-center, so I'm OK!

See the straight section where it says UPGRADE? This is where the siding will be, because I have a full 12" of roadbed between the wall and the edge of the shelf. The other straights have protruding window sills, reducing the room to 11".

I'll send a picture when it's all spiked down and tested.

Hal

003.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Sherman Hill, Wyoming, where the Big Boys hauled their consists:

This is why I use flex track consistently! You can make a gradual curve from the tangent track through ever-decreasing radii right up to the exit curve, thereby reducing the chance of derailment.

You can't make transitional or "easement" curves with fixed-radius sectional track, which is why I never used it, either on my HO layout or my present O Scale 2-Rail layout.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
This is why I use flex track consistently! You can make a gradual curve from the tangent track through ever-decreasing radii right up to the exit curve, thereby reducing the chance of derailment.
I agree with the use of flex track to create 'easement' curves, but most pre-fab switches have a short piece of tangent(straight) from end to the points... about 1-1/2" in HO... don't know with 2 rail O,

Siding Project Completed

Works great...train glides smoothly through the switches!

But it looks funny...siding is too short; only 26"(104 scale feet) long...just enough for a steam loco & tender.

I may want to relocate it to a longer straight on my layout.

Brakeman Hal
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

Last edited:
Here's where I'll be putting the new, longer siding: (I already removed that "shorty" siding.)

This shelf is 1 inch narrower then the one I just finished working on, (because of the window sill), but there will still be enough clearance between siding and main.

Hal
013.JPG

Last edited:
It's probably the A/C unit that's making life difficult for you. It's hard to see that you have enough room there.

Is there a guitar in that case, or is that where you keep the tommy gun?

That "new" location will/should be much better for you.
I see by that ART to the left of the gun rack that you appreciate the finer things of life!
Is that a round for the gun on the A-10?

Wow, I didn’t even notice the guns in the photo...
Hal I agree with Sherrel on the location.

Oh, and McLeod don't you know tommyguns go in violin cases and not guitar cases?
C'mon man, it’s right at the beginnning of the book “ So you want to join the Mafiosi”!

That painting is a copy of a genuine Alberto Vargas print, given to me by my Wife.

There are 3 rounds on the cabinet: A .50 cal M-2 machine gun round, a 20mm antiaircraft round, and a 40mm Bofors antiaircraft round.

The A-10 uses a 30mm round.

Hal

Last edited:
Thanks for the info: Had an Uncle who was a machinist in the Air Force; He made a couple ash tray stands from brass Tank rounds - I forget the caliber - they stood about 2 feet tall.

Hey McLeod:

The A/C unit will not interfere with the siding, as it will begin after the main has passed the A/C unit, leaving about 1/4" clearance between the A/C grille and the cab roof of my GP35 at the closest point.

Yowzah!
Hal

Back