Added Benchwork

BB Michigan

Fast CP
Here's the best thing I've built for my layout.

1. New benchwork minus foam board.

2. With foam board in place with a great fit.

3. Swing gate.

4. Swings down.

5. An idea for anyone. If you need a little extra thickness of styrofoam, the flat part of meat packages work well. Plus most of the packages are the same thickness as cork. The meat packages in the picture are the red and others next to it.

6. Closeup of the boards that hold the 2" thick foam board.

7. Another picture.

Post more pictures as I go. Working on putting a wye on the gate.

Here's how the gate is held up.

1. I have two "barrel bolts" on each end. Just have to slide the bolt into the hole on the face of the board.

2. Close-up

Hi BB, nice benchwork. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but what is the purpose of the gate? There seems to be a cement block wall on the other side of it and a space I'm sure I couldn't fit in between the benchwork and the wall :confused:

Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hi BB, nice benchwork. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but what is the purpose of the gate? There seems to be a cement block wall on the other side of it and a space I'm sure I couldn't fit in between the benchwork and the wall :confused:

Cheers Willis

Thanks. Yep, that's my funny layout. The gate allows me to walk between the layout and wall. Wish the main layout would be around the wall style.

Here's a not to scale drawing from paint I made. The gray area is where I can walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello BB Michigan, OK I see it, and it makes a lot of sense now. The drawing is good, nothing wrong with it at all. It makes your point and that's all it has to do. Thanks keep us posted as you get more done.
Cheers Willis

Back