Activate a remote switch machine and show their position with a LED indicator

PabloSS71

Friends

I have the following dilemma, to activate a remote switch machine from my control panel and display with an LED position.

According to the atlas switch the coil is energized only by pressing the button, then lost power, with an LED indicator which would stay off.

According to some schemes with LED indicators I've seen, is a DPDT swith, leaving the coil is constantly energized.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/ToggleTwin.html

So what is the best option, just feed the coil to move it or keep it energized all the time.

If the option is the second, these coils do not burn.

Greetings and thanks

The Atlas switch machines will burn out with constant power applied. Can't help you beyond that with providing route indication. I went with Tortoise switch machines which allow constant power.

It is simple, you have to use both the MOM switch to throw the turnout and the DPDT switch to throw the LEDs.
It is a pain, but that is it. That is what I did here.

Hogwarts05.jpg

Now you can use a mechanical throw and activate the light such as with Hump Yard switches, and only have one action.
But the position of the hump yard switch is just as good as the LED.

PRR0010.jpg

the site is not available for me at the moment and i don't remember which circuit "ToggleTwin.html " represents but AFAIK it is for slow motion machines. for coil turnouts what you need is a CDU (and thats what i built). for indication you can youse Rob's "set, then throw" circuit. basicaly a DPDT for indication and a push button for momentary energizing the coil.

EDIT: oh yeah, in the one DPDT activated coil turnout circuit he does have - notice the resistor limiting the current through the coil

If you are using the atlas snap relay to power the indicator lights, the way you wire it is Terminal A goes to Green light, the Red Light hooks to terminal B, then there is a wire that connects the lights separatly that goes straight to the one of the AC terminals and the wire on the common also goes to the other ac terminal completing the circuit. If you like I can send you the wiring diagram that I have to show you this, you can also find it in the Atlas wiring book under the chapter of the snap relay.

simple circuit for atlas turnout indicator

I used simple cmos flip flops on my N layout and have built a bunch for my Dad's HO layout. They use combination red/green led's to indicated thrown/closed. Each flip-flop indicates one turnout and there are four flip-flops on each board. Send me an email and I can send you a schematic and board layout if you're interested. No relays are required. The SPDT momentary switch that powers the turnout coils also sets/resets the flip-flop. You will need to manually initialize each turnout when you power up the layout so the LED's match the physical position of the turnout.

I used simple cmos flip flops on my N layout and have built a bunch for my Dad's HO layout. They use combination red/green led's to indicated thrown/closed. Each flip-flop indicates one turnout and there are four flip-flops on each board. Send me an email and I can send you a schematic and board layout if you're interested. No relays are required. The SPDT momentary switch that powers the turnout coils also sets/resets the flip-flop. You will need to manually initialize each turnout when you power up the layout so the LED's match the physical position of the turnout.

Picsntrains, I sent you a PM.

Regards.

It is simple, you have to use both the MOM switch to throw the turnout and the DPDT switch to throw the LEDs.
It is a pain, but that is it. That is what I did here.

Hogwarts05.jpg

Now you can use a mechanical throw and activate the light such as with Hump Yard switches, and only have one action.
But the position of the hump yard switch is just as good as the LED.

PRR0010.jpg

Cool. Where did you get that Hooker Headers box car back there?:cool:

i would like the schematic for the mom switch for light indication of which way the atlas turnout is thrown. thank-you jeff

Friends

I have the following dilemma, to activate a remote switch machine from my control panel and display with an LED position.

According to the atlas switch the coil is energized only by pressing the button, then lost power, with an LED indicator which would stay off.

According to some schemes with LED indicators I've seen, is a DPDT swith, leaving the coil is constantly energized.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/ToggleTwin.html

So what is the best option, just feed the coil to move it or keep it energized all the time.

If the option is the second, these coils do not burn.

Greetings and thanks

Those circuits do leave have power applied to the coils, but the current is limited by the resistors and it will not burn the coils up.

Back