Votes: 2 8.0%
  • (C)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • (D)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

MLW

Would like your feedback for the following:
Question: Which action shot do you like best?

(A)
RS3actn.jpg

(B)
CLnr.jpg

(C)
fa11-large.jpg

(D)
RS3.jpg

Thanks for your input

E. None of the above..Sorry but,unless you pan the camera AT a moving object the moving object should look like this..

Now if you are panning the camera at a moving object then A is the better choice..

Picture-004-7.jpg

Come on Brakie, A would be the most realistic perspective of catching a fast freight, in motion like that!

jbaakko said:
Come on Brakie, A would be the most realistic perspective of catching a fast freight, in motion like that!

Only if the camera was being panned..You see the moving object is focus while the background is blurred like picture A when the camera is in motion when the shutter is release..:D

I like choice F. all of the above. great shots MLW, a great perspective for great models on a fantastic looking model railroad. should share more like them. if I was to pick a shot I like D because of the moving train contrasting the stationary one and scener/buildings. great photography

Brakie said:
Only if the camera was being panned..You see the moving object is focus while the background is blurred like picture A when the camera is in motion when the shutter is release..:D
Thus the point...

While I like all the shots, A is how your eye would see it. The moving object is the foci of the scene most often. D is also a great shot but is what the eye would see if you are focusing on the loco in front of the moving train. To make # 3208 the focus of the shot, I would move it in to about the one third mark of the photo. Your eye will then focus on 3208 as the object to focus on. Great work!

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko said:
Thus the point...

A realistic photo..Isn't that want we all strive for when we take pictures of our models on our(well those that have one) layouts? After all we want our models and layout to be believable when view by others.
BTW..MY vote went for A because its believable as a photograph of a moving object while panning the camera.:D

I like all the photos for what they are and picked "A" as my favourite of the set presented.

That said, I do agree with Brakie on his perspective. If the photos were actual locomotives (full size), and taken at the proportional distances I would guesstimate that they'd be moving a some really outrageous speed to get that much blur. And in my experience I've never seen a freight, or a passenger go so fast that they blurred that much. Perhaps if the shutter speed was set slower or something like that...but I'm no camera guru. Just my opionion. Like I said at the top...I like them all.

TG

I like both A and B. I think the 'quality' of A is better, but composition of B is better. Namely, I like the crop on B: there's more room in front of the speeding train. It just looks more like a fast train flying through the country. However, the stationary and therefore blurred car does detract from this shot. Shot C doesn't do anything for me, and shot D just looks odd.

Thanks guys

“”A”” is also my favourite but I also like “”D”” for some reason. Can’t resist that ALCO/MLW nose:)

My intention is to show "action shot" pictures. By that I mean: On the move, dynamic state, a subject in motion. This leaves no room for assumption (except the rate of movement of the subject). I did not intend, nor wanted a static shot, an immobile object in a static surrounding

Such has this one
loco3-large.jpg

There’s no way to tell if the model above is moving forward, moving backward, or immobile. This is an assumption you are making. I would not considered a picture such has the one above an “action shot”. It is just a “shot”. It is left to the viewer to make his/her judgement based on a false assumption. Unless you were there when I took the picture, there’s no way to tell what the lookie was doing.....and I'm not telling either;)

The blurring of the background comes from the fact the subject is moving and the background is not and my focus is on the model. Its like taking a “sport picture” of, say a football player in action etc.. You can take a static shot –frozen in space- or a dynamic shot -movement suggested- by focusing on the subject and not the background, while the subject is moving.

Such has this one:
fa11-large.jpg

or that one:
istockphoto_507337_steam_train_in_motion.jpg

train2.jpg

Another method is to focus on an immobile object and set a slow exposure to capture motion like this:
RS33.jpg

But this is not what I had in mind.

No outrageous speed was involved in the making of these pictures. The models were moving at a scale 35-45 MPH.

Again, thank you all for your great feedback. I appreciate it.

I choose A because it was the best of the ones here. The pan effect is good bu t it is not directional. It does not tell me which direction the loco is going, only the position of the loco in the frame suggests that.

For B to work the car would also have to be more in focus as it is moving in the same direction as the locomotive. If that was true, it be an awsome shot, despite that it looks like the rear truck is not on the rails.

In C I like the CN box cars in the back ground that complement the locomotive. However everything needs to be a bit more in focus. The locomotive and the back ground. The locomotive in crisp "pan" focus, and the background just slightly unfocused so it doesnt look like it is going 100mph.

Shot D is just too blatantly an attempt at special effects. Any photograph of the prototype that looked like this would be thrown away.

As for a different angle on things how about this, assuming you have excellent light and you took a picture of a diesel or electric train in this location you would not be able to tell if it was at full speed or stationary but with a steam train, the smoke trail gives the impression of great speed, well 75 mph in this case:D
110069373.gif

Back