Acquired A TON of Custom Trains at an Estate Sale

TrainHobbit

Hi all!

Total disclosure: I am brand new to model trains and have no idea what I’m doing with them. My wife and I purchased a lot from an estate sale that happened to include a TON of model trains, tracks, accessories, buildings, etc. Most of it is Kato and Trix.
We’re admittedly trying to resell most of it. My question is: several of the trains apparently have professionally done custom paint jobs. The majority are done by Kendall Johnen of the Blue Caboose with a few done by Ken Hurzeler. Does this customer paint job help or hurt the value of the trains? They’re extremely well done, but they are completely different paint jobs from the originals. Can we still resell them, or does the custom paint job kill their value?
Thanks!

Pictures would indeed help, but as you suspect, the custom paint jobs may all but eliminate the typical prospective customer. While some are looking for specificity in the hobby, most, about 80%, would rather look for a decent runner that's a bargain than to pay up for customized items that don't quite fit their choice of road(s) or that need a lot of TLC to get them mobile again. IOW, the hobby is all over the place, but really unique items need uniquely interested buyers.

430550D1-C560-4E47-A1B8-F1541B25F20F.jpeg
7EAE4C1B-830D-43EC-A79D-8F51F2E4CBA9.jpeg

WOW, TrainHobbit...

Two thousand pounds of model railroad equipment!

How will you support it all? You'll need heavy steel benchwork.

Brakeman Hal

Back