ACK! I've gone to the dark side!

Rico

BN Modeller
Well I've been holding true to the Burlington Northern for many years now and have managed to fight off any and all temptation to go with the merger.
Then the other day I bought some rolling stock in a bulk deal and this followed me home!
20190703_191200.jpg

It's just too pretty to not keep it and being a Kato it runs awesome!
Now I'm drawing the line, no BNSF rolling stock. None.
Ok, well I might look for one more loco in the H1 scheme to keep this girl company.....

I was keeping to it's sister line the Great Northern myself until a SD40 with Santa Fe markings fell into a similar bulk purchase. Fortunately it hasn't been completed, so I may attempt to convert it, or it may convert me as well....lol

Nice score either way.

Rico, it's not so much dark as it is orange.

I can relate though. I've had a few post merger locos show up but all except 2 have moved on. One was a gift, an H1 dash 9 and the other is a unfinished 70MAC bash. The dash 9 is ok, I'll just say I model September 1996. Yeah, that's it, September 96.

Thanx guys!
Well as it turns out she's going to be sitting back in the box for a few months, looks like we just bought a new basement!
We get it September 1st so should have a new layout up and running by September 2nd.
Um... well shortly there after?

Keeping it Pre-Merger, myself, only Pre Northern Pacific/Great Northern/Chicago Burlington & Quincy Merger, the original that happened in 1970! Never bought anything that wasn't Northern Pacific or that I did not converted to N.P. It's not hard to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico - Congrats on the new basement. You'll have more to worry about than the paint scheme on that loco for a while. Mentioning a guest room might get you a few members wanting invites to visit.

Yeah it's a little more layout friendly and I already got the okee dokee to expand the layout area!
Even has a place to eat and sleep above it too and it's just a few minutes to the lake.
Oh, it has a Guest room too.....

Rick, I don't usually get up until 11am, I like my egss scrambled, no coffee, fresh squeezed OJ please!! ;)

Great news about the new basement Rick!

As far as beyond-era stuff goes, I experimented for ~5 years modeling the "grandchild" of the B&O, a.k.a. CSX, because I loved the Gray/Blue/Yellow "hockey stick" paint scheme and liked the idea of modeling contemporary stuff. My enthusiasm dwindled when they switched to the ugly dark blue with rancid mustard yellow lettering, and started retiring all their 2nd-generation EMD power. So I returned to my original drug-of-choice, B&O 1969-72 era. This four-year time slot helps me keep my spending within acceptable limits!;)

Thanx guys!
Well as it turns out she's going to be sitting back in the box for a few months, looks like we just bought a new basement!
We get it September 1st so should have a new layout up and running by September 2nd.
Um... well shortly there after?

When house hunting in 2017 I couldn't find a finished basement ideal for trains that I could afford but moved into an unfinished basement late 2017. We had a lot of main floor work to do during the 1st year but started finishing the basement last December on weekends and days off, and how to be finished in Sept. Plan to start building a layout soon after. Been without a layout 17 of the past 20 years.

Last edited:
Well dang, as predicted in the original post I received another package in the mail today...
BNSF 976 will be sharing the duties with 5622 once the new layout is up and running!
The hard part now is going to be refraining from adding more SF to the BN fleet!
Although those red und silver ex war bonnets are pretty slick looking locos too tho.... oh oh!
20190819_154051.jpg

Rico: Send one of BNSF locomotives or both to me to break them in for you while you finish your new basement and start a layout. The BNSF color scheme is one of my favorites and the first new DCC locomotives that I purchased was a BNSF - GP38. Your locomotives will make a great consist working together.

Nice.

Greg

Well dang, as predicted in the original post I received another package in the mail today...
BNSF 976 will be sharing the duties with 5622 once the new layout is up and running!
The hard part now is going to be refraining from adding more SF to the BN fleet!
Although those red und silver ex war bonnets are pretty slick looking locos too tho.... oh oh!
View attachment 38777
Look out for these Atlas ones then.
1566251947508.png

Back