Accucraft Lubricator

AlWilkes

I have a new Accucraft Shay loco (3 cyl.) which has a completely new design of lubricator, not shown in the manual, which is for the previous model, or in any photos i've seen on the net. It has the regular filler ecrew and blow-off valve, but half-way doen the body is a screw-type valve of some sort. I don't know what this is. If it's some sort of lubricator adjustment, how do I know if it's correctly set? Maybe it's some sort of cut-off to prevent oil being drawn back into the boiler after shut-down? Can anyone out there advise me? Thanks - Al

Needle Valve

The screw type valve is just that.Previous lubricators without the adjustment needle valve have used way too much steam oil. With the new lubricators you can get a couple of runs without slobbering large quantities of steam oil all over the track and loco.Break in w/ the lubricator fully open for a few runs , then open only a couple of turns for regular running. If you have questions call Cliff at Accucraft 510-324-3339.Always pay attention to the water level , those 3 cyl. shays use alot of water.

Thanks Tig. That makes a lot of sense, and puts my mind at rest. I had contacted Accucraft but got no response. A local dealer told me pretty much what you said, but without explaining that the reason for including the valve was the dirty habits of earlier Shays!

Back