Above table switch machines?

Trussrod

Have any of you had any experience?

Which above table electric switch machines work with Walthers HO code 83 turnouts?

Any help is appreciated.

Only experience I've had with above table machines was limited to the old Atlas machines that had the wire throwbar, and were bigger than the newer machines.

All the rest of my experiences with twin-coil machines was with the old Kemtron style of machine, but they were under-table mounted. They could be mounted above table, but never knew anyone who did this.

Thanks Carey, your reply is appreciated as it jogs my memory.
That's about the same experience I had sans the Kemtron Twin coil machines, which I did photograph for Levon Kamalian who owned the company in Fresno, Ca. many years back but never used any of them.

Back to the above table atlas machines or others. My experience is the same as yours, and with the atlas turnouts they seemed to work fine except when junk got under them but that applies to any of them. The situation here is that of a friend whom I'm helping build his layout and bought Walthers switches which didn't come with any switch machines and the little Atlas machines are too flimsy to throw the points. Even on another switch and using the proper amount of current called for the little Atlas machine melted the thin housing then quit working? I never had that problem in the past when I was using their older stuff. I guess the newer stuff is just too flimsy.

But the real point here is that the Walthers turnouts have the point throw bar that is meant for an above table machine but they don't seem to say which machines to use? At least that's what my friend says. That seems very odd to me that Walthers would make no mention of what switch machines to use with their turnouts that would work reliably? Although I also would think the older Atlas machines with the spring wire throw would have more than enough power. It just that they are much larger in size but what are you going to do?

More most modern turnouts, like the Walthers/Shinohara's or Pecos, you almost have to have a more powerful machine like a Tortoise, or some other geared stall motor type. If not those then just plain old ground throws. Due to the price of those style motors, everything is manually thrown on my layout.

For the ones that are part of the staging yards, I use a home built system that is completely self adjusting, will throw just about anything, and for 14 of those machines, I have spent less than $30.

Thanks again Carey, I'm helping a friend build his layout and he has about 12 or 14 of the Walthers/Shinohara switches and due to table work and elevation differences it will be very difficult for him to install the Tortoses in at least so locations.

He bought a Peco switch machine and managed to get it attached properly after drilling and installing a plastic pin in the W/S Turnout throw arm but even though the Peco machine is a lot stronger than the Atlas It still won't throw the points completely for some reason and he's going lunny trying to figure out what to do?

It just doesn't seem logical that the Shinohara turnouts should work that much harder than any of the others but they sure seem too!

Any ideas on how to free them up? Is it something to do with closeness of the throw arm between the ties on both sides of the throw arm?

Thanks for your help Carey as I'm somewhat lost as I didn't take too close a look at them before he layed his track as I figured they should work properly coming from Walthers!

Back