Aaaarrrrhh! This doesn't look good.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
In Birmingham there's a cool little shortline known as the Birmingham Southern http://www.tstarinc.com/birmingham/map.html. It was incorporated in 1899 and is still going strong today. They run a variety of equipment, but of particular interest to me has always been the ex DM&IR SD9s. The old girls were built in the 50s. Just the other day, I was thinking of going on a photo safari to get pics of them.

Fast forward to today. LGM and I were rail fanning the CSX (I know ya'll are shocked :D ) when I was surprised to see two Birmingham Southern SD9s in a consist far from their home rails! The bad news is, they had TANX (TransiTech Incorporated) reporting marks spray painted on them and the Birmingham Southern logos lined thru. :( It ain't lookin good for my old friends. :(

My apologies for the soft focus on this pic. Wouldn't you know the newbie photographer would be messing around "trying something different" when such an important train showed up by surprise. :rolleyes: The SD9s really stand out in this consist.
1138SuperEl.JPG

LGM and I chased the train from south of Cullman to the helper base at Lakon. Yes, we violated a few traffic rules, but sure enough, we caught the freight again after it's trip down Sand Mountain. It was really smoking! The old SDs are getting quite a ride on what is probably their final trip.
3235BS%20SD9s.JPG

I just had to tell someone. This is a sad developement.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a nice assortment of locos in that train there. As for the new reporting marks I think they might be used as lease locomotives for a while. It will depend on their condition if they'll get the thumbs up or thumbs down.

Back