A tour of the 'Belt

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
OK it's finally here, a photo album with pix of my pike with scenery on it.

Here's where it's at: http://ironbelt.net

Dialer-uppers, I'd advise going with the 'HTML' option since that won't overwhelm your 56K connection with a bunch of huge pix all at once.

I'm going away in the morning, no internet where I'm going to so I can't reply to anybody (sorry about that...)

Jeeze, Ken!! An excellent presentation with good continuity and very informative. Anyone misses this has an empty bucket. I plan on saving the file for future reference.

The work that you have completed on your layout rework is amazing and with obvious high level craftsmanship. Think of what you could do if you had the time of a retired person.

Absolutely incredible! You should be proud.

Amazing Ken, really love your work. Those big buildings are really cool.

The PDF was a great way of presenting too, well done!!

Ken.

Go to the top of the class Ken

I am proud of you, that was awsome.

I would shake your hand if i could reach over the pond

GEEZE... *blank mind*

Wow Ken, Fantastic! I saved the .zip cause it was SO awsome!

Okay Ken, you got it far enough along that you've convinced me that I need to find an excuse to get to Baltimore.

Kudos and well done Ken. You've inspired me! Sydney had a steel plant and a coaling wharf and someday if I got the room I may just use you as my inspiration.

Once again well done!

Fergie

Wow... I think that's the only Power Point presentation I've ever enjoyed!

Beautiful job, I especially liked how authentic the suburban area looked with modern buildings and vehicles. That can be a difficult thing to do.

Chris

Forgot to mention earlier: Ken, with all the work and time that you have put into this, it is now a very good time to find a shade tree in the mountains and forget railroad tracks for awhile. You know if you clear out to many cobwebs from your brain at one time, they will be nothing holding the grey matter together.:eek: ;)

:D :D :)

Hi gang,

I'm back from the wilderness! Thanx everybody for all of the kind feedback, now I need to start focusing on some long-deferred honeydo projects :eek: ...

Are they the kind of honeydo's that are good, or bad? I got a single honeydo right now, and thats to find an apartment!

Yard work (not the 1:87 kind that Ray H. talks about LOL) and carpentry - rebuilding a shed door that's hanging by a thread, hitting remote areas of my lawn where my son never takes the riding mower (some of which haven't been touched by a blade since 2005).

Little stuff, if done for an hour or two each Saturday; but they pile up when neglected for over a year!

That's easy to understand, Ken. You have had a stressful summer. Put it all aside and just relax...the itch will need scratching before you know it.;) :D

I just flipped through this thread again and realized I hadn't posted a thank-you or job well done or anything. Big oversight on my part (I must have had to change a diaper in mid reply that day, yeah, that's my excuse...).

Anyway, great job, fun to look at, easy to understand, great presentation, nice work throughout. I just can't find the right way to say wow enough. The level of completion you've taken things to is not only inspiring, it's humbling. And that includes the presentation itself. What a great success!

OK here they are, I finally got around to composing the individual replies. Hope I didn't miss anybody...

RexHea said:
...The work that you have completed on your layout rework is amazing and with obvious high level craftsmanship. Think of what you could do if you had the time of a retired person...
Thanx Rex, I hope I actually can retire! I've heard a few people say that after they retired they actually got busier because spouses/children assumed they had "all that free time" on their hands [yeah...uh-huh...:rolleyes:]

NZRMac said:
Amazing Ken, really love your work. Those big buildings are really cool. The PDF was a great way of presenting too, well done!!
Thank You Ken, the mega-buildings are the "mountains" on my pike. As for the PDF approach, I figured that more people could partake of it in that form [using a freeware utility like Adobe Acrobat Reader] than if I'd kept it as a regular PPT, which requires the Microsoft tool (or do they have a free 'read-only' version of that now?)

Steve B said:
...I would shake your hand if i could reach over the pond
Actually Steve, the internet is a form of "handshaking" :D Thanx for the kind words, hope I'll be seeing pix of your new YV Sub within the coming months!

joem5127 said:
thanks for sharing Ken, great work.
Joe, it was my pleasure!:)

enjineerbill said:
Who's The Man??YOU-da-MAN!!!Fan-Fricken-TASTIC Ken, Great work!! Great tour.:) :cool:
Ahh, Johnny - the Master of Understatement! ;)
But yours still has at least one feature mine hasn't got: Wires on the utility poles...(someday...maybe...)

jbaakko said:
GEEZE... *blank mind* Wow Ken, Fantastic! I saved the .zip cause it was SO awsome!
Thanx Josh. Did the zip download work OK? I included that for people with 56K connections, since their browsers might otherwise try to open the file directly. Couldn't really test it on my machine because it already has, um..."everything" on it...

SpaceMouse said:
Okay Ken, you got it far enough along that you've convinced me that I need to find an excuse to get to Baltimore.
Chip, in October you'll have exactly the 'excuse' you're looking for, it's spelled: T-I-M-O-N-I-U-M. Just let me know a few days in advance so I can make my house "presentable" ...

Fergmiester said:
Kudos and well done Ken. You've inspired me! Sydney had a steel plant and a coaling wharf and someday if I got the room I may just use you as my inspiration.
Thanx Fergie, remember how your seeing that prototype steamer on an excursion train in your childhood had a lifelong effect on your modeling direction? I bet if you'd visited a real steel mill like I did, there'd already be one on your pike - that's the impression it had on me! Steel mills offer great opportunities for switching, and generating hi-volume rail traffic.

Hawkeye251 said:
...Beautiful job, I especially liked how authentic the suburban area looked with modern buildings and vehicles. That can be a difficult thing to do.
Chris, you are soooo right - vehicles from the Fifties and Sixties are really hard to come by. That was one of the things that helped me decide to model contemporary stuff (1990 and later), since Busch and others offer a larger variety of modern-day vehicles.

grande man said:
Very impressive! That has to be one of the very best presentations I've seen. Great work, Ken. :cool:
Thanx Eric! Your "virtual layout tour" thread of the Platte Canyon Sub was one of the things that inspired me to follow this approach.

RCH said:
...Anyway, great job, fun to look at, easy to understand, great presentation, nice work throughout. I just can't find the right way to say wow enough. The level of completion you've taken things to is not only inspiring, it's humbling. And that includes the presentation itself. What a great success!
Thanx Ryan, coming from you that means a lot! I only hope that someday the freight cars/locos populating it will be as beautifully weathered as your stuff.

Back