A Start on Backdrops

I took an overhead projector and made some simple mountain drawings. Then I brushed and sponged for a bit. I have alot to do yet. Sorry the last 2 picts are so dark will try again this weekend.

But let me know what you think?

100_0487.jpg

There will be trees along the wall on top of the rock cut for the mainline. I just started the rocks there. You can see one tree there on the right where I was showing a visitor.

100_0486.jpg

100_0485.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad! Interesting though on how to accomplish that, I might have to use a variant of that idea.

Nice - I'm painting "distant hills" backdrops right now myself and it's an interesting experience.

I am not an artist... and it shows.

Nice - I'm painting "distant hills" backdrops right now myself and it's an interesting experience.

I am not an artist... and it shows.

Being a Handyman by trade we do alot of painting. However an artist I am not. This is my first poke at anything like this and I went into it knowing I am capable of painting the wall back. LOL

Your foothills look pretty good to me! Were you projecting a slide image of them onto the wall, and "traced" them?

Actually I set the projector about 12 feet off the wall and that cover half the space. I drew the left half and made some reference points and rolled the plastic and turned the machine and drew the right half.

It was all freehand so I could fiddle a bit till I liked the terrain. I just used the clear plastic that rolls on the machine. I traced the terrain I have built on the plastic and then layed the whole strip out flat on the table. This way I had my area marked off and I drew what I wanted it to look like. Then put it back on the machine and shined the image on the wall. I just painted with the projector on because I was afraid guide lines would show.

It looks great to me. :cool:

I would like to make one small suggestion. You have some of the larger trees in the background. If they were moved to the foreground and only the smaller ones used by the backdrop, the illusion of distance that would result would be a plus. :)

I am seeing this as I play with it this week. Hint to future layouts dont put your track 4" off the wall unless there is a tunnel. :confused:

Back