A short introduction

:D Well Ive been a member here for a few months, lurking in the background. I figured I'd step up to the microphone and do a short introduction so here goes ...

Ive been around trains, and the transportation industry my whole life. My dad built layouts for me when I was little, and Ive built sevral thru the years never were actually 'finished' with scenery nor were they designed for operation. Thats about to change. Yay!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll begin constructing my version of atlas plan 26 (southside connecting) and something 4x8 on the other side of the room with a yard connecting the two.. should be finished by this time next year.
Future plans include acurate model of the Desoto Missouri Car Shops (my grandpa and other family worked there) as well as the georgetown ky toyota plant and NS railyard and local industries.

I am a professional truck driver, doing heavy haul work for the Toyota plant in Georgetown Ky. I move overseas containers and machinery from the Norfolk Southern Railyard into the plant. So I get lots of close up time with containers, chassis, intermodal equipment, autoracks (from toyota, who loads 120+ a day), and of course theres always different motive power, and the 10-12 passing trains in the course of a 10-12 hr shift.
Over the next few weeks im going to be taking some detail pics of the different intermodal cars, container crane, motive power, etc etc etc

This is a great site with loads of talent and lots of great layouts..I look forward to being able to contribute in the Photo Contests and WPF threads as well as prototype shots..:D

Scott, Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're here and look forward to following the progress of your layout. I know you'll have a blast building it, and with the web, we can too.;)

Welcome. Your plan sounds good. However, I might allot a little more than a year. I am about 1 1/2 years into a 4 x 8 and I've got a long way to go. I would say I'm putting about 12-20 hours a week into it.

Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum! There's over a century's worth of model railroading experience here, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. Better yet, kept sharing your plans [as you did above] - somebody may help you avoid a serious mistake before it has a chance to happen.

I echo Chip's advice to allow more time for 'completing' your layout, always better to take it slow and do things right.

Well if it takes more time than that, no biggie. For the last couple years Ive been doing sevral automotive restorations and need a break from all things automotive.

Thanks for the welcome ya'll!

Hi Scott, welcome in from the sidelines. I believe you'll find participation is much better than just watching on. Keep in mind most of us are amatures at this, however we do have some talented members to keep us on the right track :D
13.gif
Willis

Another BIG WELCOME Scott! I am glad to see you active. Remember what they say: "The only dumb question is the one not asked."

Kentucky: Great state with lots of fine folks. When I was a puppy, my folks lived in Owensboro and then near Madisonville (Providence). I know that is probably West of you, but my memories are all good ones.

I grew up around St Louis and moved here for college, now I drive a truck.. haha its a good living and i dont have to put on a suit to goto work, plus i get to spend all this time around the RR and intermodal equipment.
Kentucky has been good to me, Ive got no complaints
Thanks for the welcome

Welcome! We can always use neat-o prototype pics here.

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, you may also want to join the Model Intermodal Yahoo Group. There's a lot of prototype folks as well as modellers there as well. Not intending to divert you away from here, just pointing out another place where Intermodal is the topic of the day every day.....

:D

Kennedy

I'll definatly have to check that out. Is Model Intermodal the 'formal' name? I got a few photos last night, but the camera is still in the truck. I'll get a few more shots before I upload em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Scott, you are in the right place. I'm a trucker in the UK but i am having a brake at the moment working at Leyland Trucks which is owned by Paccar, i'm in the parts export dept, i have been with Paccar for 6 yrs now

It's actually modelintermodal. The direct URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/modelintermodal/

Here is the description:

Description
The modelintermodal list is for modelers and enthusiasts of intermodal transport of any era. Both prototype and modeling issues are discussed.

The subject matter includes trailers, containers, railroad intermodal rolling stock, intermodal freight cars, railroad and port (marine) intermodal operations, intermodal terminal design, intermodal facility equipment, TTX, Trailer Train, RoadRailers, container ships, and any other topic generally related to intermodal transport.

Kennedy

HaggisKennedy said:
It's actually modelintermodal. The direct URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/modelintermodal/

Here is the description:

Description
The modelintermodal list is for modelers and enthusiasts of intermodal transport of any era. Both prototype and modeling issues are discussed.

The subject matter includes trailers, containers, railroad intermodal rolling stock, intermodal freight cars, railroad and port (marine) intermodal operations, intermodal terminal design, intermodal facility equipment, TTX, Trailer Train, RoadRailers, container ships, and any other topic generally related to intermodal transport.

Kennedy
Sweet, now I gotta join that one too! Too many yahoo groups again, Its hard to stay updated when you find the good ones.

You'll find some interesting and knowlegeable folks there. There are a couple of drivers like you, while a couple work in the industry. A number are just plain knowlegeable, period (not me!)!

:D

Kennedy

Back