A scheme for my shortline

ATSF5997

Juvenile delinquent
Hello everyone, I am looking for a few good artists to create a paint scheme for my shortline layout. Please, only do this if you will let me use your scheme free of charge. My shortline is called the North Texas Central Railroad. For the scheme, I was thinking something black with the Texas flag incorporated into it. I have a GP7, a CF7, and an SD40-2 snoot that need to be painted. I'm just giving you the template for the GP7, and I will incorporate it into the other locomotives! Though, seeing as it is an ATSF zebra stripe, I might just paint the CF7 and the SD40-2 in the scheme. The GP7 number is 2678, and it does have dynamics.

Reposted with permission of Michael Eby. Railfan Paintshop
gp7.gif

I can do the livery on a SD40-2 aswell, just send me a pic of the flag and any other elements you want to incorporate into the livery and what font, etc, etc and i'll see what i can do.
Mitchell

Well, for now, I just want it done on the GP7. Seeing as it is an ATSF zebra stripe, I would like to keep the stripes as a reminder. If you have the font "Erie Roman" I would like that. Or, Franklin Gothic Medium looks nice, too.

Well, what do you know? You're just up the road from me, Zak. I'm in NRH off Davis Blvd.

What era are you thinking of for your shortline? That might have more to do with defining your railroad paint scheme than anything else. You might find some inspiration in Wes Carr's Southwest Shorts site, since he covers our area pretty well. You might also want to check out my article on designing freelance paint schemes on the Hub Hobby Shop webpage. I like the idea of using the Texas flag in your design - that's proof you know the pride folks have in being Texan!

Heres some shortlines that I have done for myself and the model railroad club I belong too, also a CATERPILLAR locomotive for a club member.

Okanagan Valley System SD40-2 #3000

NOMRA Railway GP9 #1000

CATERPILLAR SD9043MAC #4300
(Drawings courtesy of Trainiax)

I'll take a try at designing a paint sceme for you. just send me images and ideas you have for the design to my email.
bmxrider411(at)yahoo.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
RCH said:
Well, what do you know? You're just up the road from me, Zak. I'm in NRH off Davis Blvd.

What era are you thinking of for your shortline? That might have more to do with defining your railroad paint scheme than anything else. You might find some inspiration in Wes Carr's Southwest Shorts site, since he covers our area pretty well. You might also want to check out my article on designing freelance paint schemes on the Hub Hobby Shop webpage. I like the idea of using the Texas flag in your design - that's proof you know the pride folks have in being Texan!
Well hey, I'm right off the intersection of Golden Triangle and Alta Vista Boulevard, near Denton highway!

The era is in the mid-50s. We ship out grain and boxed goods, such as phones and grain-based foods (Think Wheaties:D).

And yes, I am very proud Texan! Eighth generation, my great great great (?) grandmother owned the land that Six Flags Fiesta Texas is on. If you have ever seen Jones-Maltsburger Drive, that's her last name! My great great great grandfather was a Texas Ranger. My great grandfather was a conductor on the Sunset Limited running out of San Antonio. When he retired, he held the longest career on the SP at the time. Another great grandfather was an engineer for the MoPac. And that's just on my mom's side! I have more on the dad's side. So yes, I am a very Texan railroader! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
okanaganrailfan said:
Heres some shortlines that I have done for myself and the model railroad club I belong too, also a CATERPILLAR locomotive for a club member.

Okanagan Valley System SD40-2 #3000

NOMRA Railway GP9 #1000

CATERPILLAR SD9043MAC #4300
(Drawings courtesy of Trainiax)

I'll take a try at designing a paint sceme for you. just send me images and ideas you have for the design to my email.
bmxrider411(at)yahoo.ca

Regarding you CAT scheme...COOL!!!! I like it.

ATSF5997 said:
Hello everyone, I am looking for a few good artists to create a paint scheme for my shortline layout. Please, only do this if you will let me use your scheme free of charge. My shortline is called the North Texas Central Railroad. For the scheme, I was thinking something black with the Texas flag incorporated into it. I have a GP7, a CF7, and an SD40-2 snoot that need to be painted. I'm just giving you the template for the GP7, and I will incorporate it into the other locomotives! Though, seeing as it is an ATSF zebra stripe, I might just paint the CF7 and the SD40-2 in the scheme. The GP7 number is 2678, and it does have dynamics.

Reposted with permission of Michael Eby. Railfan Paintshop
gp7.gif

How about this?:

and as far as the cost goes... that will be $1,000,000. Nah, just kidin'!:D You can use that scheme free of charge! Hope you like it.
P.S. if you are using this scheme on low nose units, you can move the flag onto the long hood below the three radiator screens.

Pretty nice Ryan, I believe your scheme covers everything he asked for, looks good.

13.gif
Willis

Thanks, Willis.

Whatever you decide to do, Zak, if you need an airbrush to paint with, you can use mine, or if you need help getting it done, I'll be glad to show you what I know.

RCH said:
What do you think of this, Zak? Inspiration provided by the TRE :D

tncrr-gp7.gif

that one looks good except for this: I think his railway is called the North Texas Cetral, not the Texas North Central.:D

Just to sum up the designs here:

1. Empire Builder's version (mine)

2. RCH's version

3.Jbaakko's version

Zak, another thing you could concider is using all three designs, since real railroads often have more than one scheme.

Empire Builder said:
that one looks good except for this: I think his railway is called the North Texas Cetral, not the Texas North Central.:D

Hehe, that's what I get for attempting to do that when I should have been sleeping! How's this:

tncrr-gp7-2.gif

Empire Builder said:

He could use it as one unit they couldn't afford to get repainted because the manufacturer screwed up.

Nate said:
He could use it as one unit they couldn't afford to get repainted because the manufacturer screwed up.

Or a second locomotive that the paint shop screwed up on!:D Look at the second one:

RCH said:
Hehe, that's what I get for attempting to do that when I should have been sleeping! How's this:

Did you do this when you should've been sleeping again?:D Switch the "Central" & "Texas" around and you'll have it!:D

Back