A quick question about programming decoder

AllenRockwell

Professional Model Maker
I have a MRC Prodigy Advance system and I'm a bit of a DCC newbie ... so this is probably a very simple question for you guys.

In the Prodigy Advance manual under "Programming Decoders" it talks about the "Acceleration Rate" and "Deceleration Rate" ... naturally I undesrtand what these are (in the analog days we called it Momentum) but the manual makes no mention of the range of values I can use here .. is it 1-10, 1-100, 0-128, 1-256 ?????? I don't really just want to start entering random numbers to see what happens, I'd rather know where to start.

BTW, I am using all Atlas N Gauge diesels that came with decoders installed.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The range is 0 (no delay) to 255. when it's set to max it takes a minute or two to start moving!! I have mine set to around 15 for road loco's and 5 for switchers.

Ken.

The range is 0 (no delay) to 255. when it's set to max it takes a minute or two to start moving!! I have mine set to around 15 for road loco's and 5 for switchers.

Ken.

Thanks a lot Ken, That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try your numbers and see how that works.

Allen, you want to start out with low numbers until you get use to having these CV's set. The first time I tried it, I was way to high and my train went on and on and... Scared the dickens out of me! Ha! Ken's should keep you safe. Keep in mind though, different locos will have different settings. I have some that are only around ten while others are 35+. Also, and of course, you would want quicker response from switchers than a loaded freight.

Rex,
I have one set to a high number right now (not sure exatly what) and when I turn the throttle down to 0 it takes about 5 feet or more to come to a stop ... and that's a lot on an N gauge layout.

:D :D Yeah, that's about 20 miles in N scale, isn't it.:D :D

Start out low in increments in five until you get what you are after. Oh, best to do this on a long, clear, track.;) :D

That's why they invented the emergency stop button!!:D
It's a big red one too!!
Used it way to often when I first tried the brakeing delay:eek:

Ken.

Accel/Decel is good if you have sound decoders and want the Prime Mover to rev up before the loco actually starts moving.....

:D

Kennedy

Back