A quick poll about the forums

Whats your opinion of Youth Model RR'ers?

• Theyre a neccessity to keep the hobby going!

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • They arent necessary, but its good to see.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Kids can get in the way and break things, so as long as theyre careful, great!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I feel the hobby is better suited for adults.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Littlefoot14

Hello members, I just have a quick question and a poll that relates to it.

Whats your opinion about youth model railroaders and their role in the hobby?

Also, how do you feel about kids using Model Railroad Forums?

Thanks to all who participate.

Oh yeah, and i chose the option that hid your choices, so please vote honestly. Also, just in the off chance this leads to some heated opinions, please refrain from attacking someones opinion, this is a positive thread :D

Getting kids into the hobby is an absolute necessity. Without new blood, this hobby will die. Used to be the average age, according to Model Railroader surveys, was somewhere in the 40's, while the latest ones shows its the 60's. This indicates that younger MRs are not in the numbers they used to be. This trend has to be reversed.

Getting kids into the hobby is an absolute necessity. Without new blood, this hobby will die. Used to be the average age, according to Model Railroader surveys, was somewhere in the 40's, while the latest ones shows its the 60's. This indicates that younger MRs are not in the numbers they used to be. This trend has to be reversed.

Was there about 20 years between the two surveys? ;)
________
Buy No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
Need the kids to get an intrest early on becasue many will louse intrest in their 20s-30s due to girl chasing, job hunting, and partys. then the get a real job, find a wife, settle down and will rekindle Model trains as a hobby or...will start up again when their first born comes into the world....

thats my .02

I started model railroading as a young teenager. I tried to interested my 3 sons, but with little success. I'm now working on my grandkids!

Some clubs are very open to the under 18 crowd, but unfortunately some are not. Both of the clubs that I am currently associated with accept under 18 year olds with parental supervision. One teenager is currently participating in my op sessions.

Glenn

In thinking back I grew up with trains and they always held a special fascination for me. I like may grew away from them for a while but always saved everything I had prior and still have it too. A lot depends of the young individual but I'd have to say it is good to get them introduced to trains and model railroading as soon as they show an interest.

Model railroading is the only hobby I know of that allows an individual to get involved in a multitude of other related skills while blending other hobbies into it too such as photography and the creative arts of doing scenic work along with all the electronics and wood working and even construction engineering as well as design. It Truly is 'The Hobby of Kings!'

So I'd have to say it's very important to at least introduce young folks to Model Railroading as it's about the only hobby that can stimulate their minds in so many ways.

I think if we put our heads together we can come up with a way to help those guys and gals take the step to get involved and at least learn what model railroading is about without getting to complicated.

I think the pendilum of building working models such as trains is on the up-swinging once again as I have heard and that's a good thing.

I wonder if there isn't some outside sources, maybe some of the advertisers, like Amazon that might be able to give forum an introduction to some new folks, young and old alike?!

Well I hope Model railroading keeps youth in me!
Really Matt, what brought on this question from one our youngest members? I'm just curious.
My two sons were the excuse to start back into the hobby and although neither has really stuck with it they both still have an interest. Heck I got an E-Z Command set from my 25 year old for Christmas and three decoders to finally get the layout into DCC mode.
I love to watch kids with trains. I'm sorry for anyone who doesn't. I guess they would rather have the kids playing video games (not that that's so bad) or out gang banging.

If for no other reason, we need them for their money and their parents' money. The more money being put into the hobby the better everything will become. Look at anything else. Computers, cars, cameras, cellphones, other things that begin with C. The more people that got involved, the better the technology became and the cheaper it all became.
________
Brunette British

Last edited by a moderator:

Back