A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Layout is looking great! Funny, I am just finishing up (are they ever really finished) this one and have discovered I like passenger trains and big steam. LOL The Big Boy, Challengers and large early diesels (E units) and passenger cars are not real happy on this layout soooooooo. I am starting another one in what used to be our game room. I have a 25 x 16 is space. I may connect the two through the wall, we will see how that goes. Lucky for me my wife is on board as she has the bug too and has discovered she is a pretty good model builder and really gets into scenery (she did some of what you see in the video).

Wow, I like that video. I know I have been promising people I would get back to working on the layout but this first year of retirement has been really crazy. Twin girls that are going to be 4 months old this week, parents health not doing the best and then I have been running for City Council. I just can't seem to just relax. I figure I will get my life organized the first year and then relax more this winter and next year. I have started back on my layout, sort of. I have been fixing some engine issues and doing some track maintenance. The good thing is I have come up with some new scenery ideas I may try this winter. I still have the staging yard to build and I may start on that next week. We have to watch the twins 4 days a week and so there is some time I can spend during the day. All and all I have been getting back into the trains at least 2 to 3 times a week again. Guess, I needed the break.

I had a chance to do some scenes on some corners that were not very detailed. I like camping so I made a campground. I moved my cows from one area to this corner and added some fencing. I am actually ready for the cooler weather that will keep me working on the layout. ( I know a few cows are on there side, they're sleeping :D) Notice the Chik-fil-let reference?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d5f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d5e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d5d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d62.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d60.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8d68.jpg

Ok, this is just a rough layout, no criticizing the track is crooked. :D Even though I use all PECO track and switches I decided to use my Atlas code 83 switches recycled from my old old Central Midland layout from 5 years ago. Hopefully, I can get all my rolling stocked smoothly through them. This Staging yard will help a lot with storing all my passenger sets and the second track in from the right can store a 12-foot long train. It will have 7 minimum tracks with a programming area. I separated the upper part of my workbench and mounted it to the wall. The bottom slips under the benchwork and I have it on furniture sliders to make it slide out easily. Plenty of storage underneath for all the other stuff. I am going to use cork sheets in the whole yard so that if I want to change things around it will be easily done. All switches will have manual throws since my whole layout is in reach of all switches. The total yard is just over 17ft long. 12" wide at the entrance of the yard and 18" where the yard tracks are. I'll get this done within the next few weeks and then maybe I will get my butt in gear and finish some of my scenery items I have been putting off.

635107A5-60AB-4553-82D4-8C2C9096A2FB_1_105_c.jpeg

Your yard looks nice, Eric! And don't worry about the tracks. In the real world, they don't stay chalk-line straight for very long! The ground does move, and it takes the tracks with it. When I build a yard, I use the TLAR (That Looks About Right) method. If the tracks aren't perfectly straight, it's prototypical!

I like your yard and everything else your doing, Eric. I caught the "eat mor chikin" sign ;):) Real nice campground and Henry rifle! Is the chain pull for the horn or to flush the commode? ;);):p:p:D:Dlol - either way, I like it!

Last edited:
I don't wonder that some of your track is crooked, considering you don't have some of them connected yet! Now if you look down the track in some of my yards, where the track is connected...:rolleyes::p Plan well. Prior Planning Prevents a Pretty Poor Performance! (P^5)! Ask me how I know! ;)

Last edited:
I like your yard and everything else your doing, Eric. I caught the "eat mor chiken' sign ;):) Real nice campground and Henry rifle! Is the chain pull for the horn or to flush the commode? ;);):p:p:D:Dlol
I know that Chic-Fillet uses that as an advertising gimmick. They even have someone dressed up like a Holstein cow... The only problem with that is that Holstein are milk cows, not beef cattle. If they wanted to be correct they'd have their characters dressed as Herefords! Oh, well, probably cost too much, and a lot of folks don't know the difference.

Love your campground scenes. Where did you get those Airstream trailers? And what is that lady pointing to? Looks like her man is drinking something out of that bottle, and she is not happy!

I know that Chic-Fillet uses that as an advertising gimmick. They even have someone dressed up like a Holstein cow... The only problem with that is that Holstein are milk cows, not beef cattle. If they wanted to be correct they'd have their characters dressed as Herefords! Oh, well, probably cost too much, and a lot of folks don't know the difference.

Love your campground scenes. Where did you get those Airstream trailers? And what is that lady pointing to? Looks like her man is drinking something out of that bottle, and she is not happy!

The airstreams I got from Walthers. The lady is pointing at a stack of wood and she is holding a shotgun and telling him "to quick drinking and get back to work! "

Well, I worked for about 4 hours tonight putting down the tracks. Finally ran out of track but I got most of the yard put down. Used sheets of cork and nailed the track down so I could easily remove and change if I need it. I think it looked pretty darn straight. Now to get some more track to finish up and wire it up. I can't wait to get it all operational

9CF5E3C9-9777-4046-8492-3257598CE2D9_1_105_c.jpeg

Back