A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

It has been a bit since I have updated this Thread. Really got busy again and I just started working hard again on this layout. One thing I did was unpack all my stuff I took off my old layout and checked to see what was good and what was bad. Smartest thing I have done so far. I really got a feel for what I can do and what I need to buy. I did manage to start on the downtown community park like I had on my old layout. The Ball park is back and being played on. Also have kids flying kites. More to come hopefully soon. Time sure gets away from you quick.

Tried to upload some Pictures today and not working???

031ed4cd4ea4fb45ec20cf35b205e594.jpg

37c83b6a570a0c644289a2a48e89706a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here is more of an opinion poll. I have this very nice expensive building Heljan train station. I want to use it so I have an idea. I have and old AHM Hudson steam that I can’t get to run and other Dc engines that will never run again. I'm thinking of making a train museum out of these items. It would go good with the sky ride to the top of the mountain. I laid it out just so you all could get an idea. I am figuring a parking lot and putting a lot of people wondering around. So ,Tell me - Yes or No.

31bb3f9d0f90dbcb191f244c4fbd55cf.jpg
51162f6e1a6fea1b86097a6185b320f3.jpg
30a0c725f9d8efc4bc5780ad199a19e7.jpg

Impressive Eric. I had seen the photos on my phone a while back, but didn't comment until I could see them in a larger format. Nice work.

So here is more of an opinion poll. I have this very nice expensive building Heljan train station. I want to use it so I have an idea. I have and old AHM Hudson steam that I can’t get to run and other Dc engines that will never run again. I'm thinking of making a train museum out of these items. It would go good with the sky ride to the top of the mountain. I laid it out just so you all could get an idea. I am figuring a parking lot and putting a lot of people wondering around. So ,Tell me - Yes or No.
I think it's a really neat idea. Some ideas to make it look more "Museum"

1) Have a small sign in front of the engine, so it looks like it's describing the engine.
2) Maybe a low fence around the engine so it's clear it's a museum. Or have it be something people can go in, and build a small stairway up the the engine cab, and have people walking up it.
3) Put "concrete" or "asphalt" all around the engine so it looks like it's supposed to be there, and not going anywhere.

Nice pictures btw.

I think it's a really neat idea. Some ideas to make it look more "Museum"

1) Have a small sign in front of the engine, so it looks like it's describing the engine.
2) Maybe a low fence around the engine so it's clear it's a museum. Or have it be something people can go in, and build a small stairway up the the engine cab, and have people walking up it.
3) Put "concrete" or "asphalt" all around the engine so it looks like it's supposed to be there, and not going anywhere.

Nice pictures btw.

We are thinking on the same page. Love the idea of stairway to the cab.

Your visit order

Don’t know if you are back from your Florida visit yet, but I would like to take you up on your offer to visit your layout at a time of convenience for you. I’ll send you an email with my email address and phone number. Thanks.

Don’t know if you are back from your Florida visit yet, but I would like to take you up on your offer to visit your layout at a time of convenience for you. I’ll send you an email with my email address and phone number. Thanks.

Larry do that. I am back and I will be going out of town next week . Short trip so we could get together after that. Send me a private message with your info and we’ll figure out a time

Yesterday LarryM ( User Name) and his lovely wife stopped by my house to see my layout. Larry was inspired by my posts and layout and started building his own. What a great couple to meet and I am excited to see what he puts together. He already has made a great start. He also has inspired me to get my butt in gear and start doing more with mine.:)

What do people think about replacing the 18 and 22" curves, with 22 and 24" curves? Table might need to be slightly larger, and maybe replace a few #4 switches with #6's, and/or replace #6's with some #8s in a few places. I've been considering this for a while, but wonder if anyone here has done it, or considered it also. One of the big issues as I see it, from the CAD drawings I've made, is getting the tracks to align properly, given that Atlas makes only so many crossings (19, 25 degrees, etc). You could always make the wye single tracked, but then you don't have quite the operational flexibility, that the double track design provides. Thanks in advance.

What do people think about replacing the 18 and 22" curves, with 22 and 24" curves?
the difference from 18" to 22" is dramatic in both performance and looks. If one has the room for doing that, in my opinion, it is a no brainer. The 24" might be a different issue. Only 2" between the tracks at that tight of radius can be an issue with sideswiping.
So 21.75" and 24"? or 22" and 24.25"?

Container Trains with Steam Engines

Eric, i see that you a pulling container trains with a steam engine

I was just recently having a debate with myself as I design my new layout track plan.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/interesting-track-plan-tupper-lake-faust-junction.29767/page-4#post-440745
Continental Theme
There were 2 things that inspired this west coast to east coast model rr theme.
1) My affection for both the Santa Fe and the B&O/C&O trains that I wanted to run all on a single layout.
2) The interesting fact that a lot of container traffic from Asia comes into the west coast to get loaded onto trains that bring it across to the east coast for further shipment to Europe.
So the lower deck represents the east coast, while the upper deck represents the west coast

My debate centered around the fact that if I had the entire upper deck representing the west coast and primarily a source of container trains,...how was I going to get to run all my beautiful steam engines up there if i remained true to the idea that steam engines didn't pull container trains.

I think I will do 2 things:
1) Like you I will run some container trains with steam engines,
2) I have divided up my upper deck in half,...one side will represent the LA area and source of container trains headed to the east coast (lower level), and the other half will be coal mines, timber, etc with freight cars that would have been pulled by steam engines. There will be a 'hidden track' behind the west coast scene so the old steam trains can pass over to the other half of the upper deck without having to pass in front of the Santa Fe station and the stacked containers/ docks/ships

Enjoyed the video. That's the first time I've seen an overall view in a while. Looking good. All of your work has paid off.

We run anything that can go on rails at out club. There can be a DM&IR Yellowstone running at the same time as new BNSF and MRL equipment.

I run anything and everything. I like too much to be held to one era or theme. I guess I may be shunned by the enthusiasts. I just put 25 freight rolling stock behind the big boy and it pulls nice. Maybe I'll shoot a video here in a few minutes and post.

Back