A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Hard to believe it is coming up on 7 years since I started this new layout. Procrastination has been a big part of this railroad. :) The downtown area just had me in a block! ( no pun intended) Finally, I decided on the way to lay out the city, it makes it look deeper than the way I was going to do it. This is not complete but I think you can get the idea. A lot more scenery and weathering of the streets need to be done. My hopes are to get the brunt of the main scenery done this winter so that starting next year I can start fine details and operations. Tell me what you think. What would you do differently?
6753B849-E614-4296-A1AA-AE3B9A94667C_1_105_c.jpeg
DA2DF232-F4FD-42B7-BB8F-CC3D9FE1152F_1_105_c.jpeg
35E77FCD-310B-4BCA-B284-7944F6414FA6_1_105_c.jpeg
5CED97E6-E005-4A41-BDFF-2A248A9B9159_1_105_c.jpeg

Hey Eric, hope this year is better to you and your family than some of the more recent ones.

As to your town's layout, I have the following ideas/suggestions:
The Billiards Lounge needs to be elsewhere, such as a corner, type of building. Maybe put the gazebo in this area, adjacent to the town hall, with some parking for 'downtown & the playground/town park.' After that, I'd relocate the two 'Queen Ann houses, further down the street, from where they are located, or elsewhere. I'm thinking maybe a bar/restaurant/hotel near the 'cable car station.' not to mention a train station in this vacinity, too. The town may have been laid out by a developer, with an eye towards everything being tied together, even if it wasn't all built at the same time-sort of like Vail, CO, or a few other places around.

Nearby the train station could be the cable car station, several places to eat/hang out, while waiting for the train, a hotel, maybe even the town hall, with the police station nearby to the keep the town's people 'orderly.' At the far end of town, where people live, not do business, would be the houses, etc...

Maybe somewhere, you can add a siding or two, for an industry, or two, etc...... off of the 'old main' to the RR Museum/old station, now a stubb ended siding, due to the 'line relocation, a while back.....

Just a few thoughts, hope this helps some.

Carl

Hey Eric, hope this year is better to you and your family than some of the more recent ones.

The Billiards Lounge needs to be elsewhere, such as a corner, type of building. Maybe put the gazebo in this area, adjacent to the town hall, with some parking for 'downtown & the playground/town park.' After that, I'd relocate the two 'Queen Ann houses, further down the street, from where they are located, or elsewhere. I'm thinking maybe a bar/restaurant/hotel near the 'cable car station.' not to mention a train station in this vacinity, too. The town may have been laid out by a developer, with an eye towards everything being tied together, even if it wasn't all built at the same time-sort of like Vail, CO, or a few other places around.

Nearby the train station could be the cable car station, several places to eat/hang out, while waiting for the train, a hotel, maybe even the town hall, with the police station nearby to the keep the town's people 'orderly.' At the far end of town, where people live, not do business, would be the houses, etc...

Maybe somewhere, you can add a siding or two, for an industry, or two, etc...... off of the 'old main' to the RR Museum/old station, now a stubb ended siding, due to the 'line relocation, a while back.....

Carl
Wow thanks, Carl, some good ideas. I have already decided to put a dead-end siding by the train museum.

Carl
Carl I want to say you are my hero. I made some adjustments from your recommendations ( Not all) and it looks so much better. I moved my Burning IRS / Town hall building by the gazebo. I also move some buildings around. ( Bar and Bank.) I put a train station on the other side of the tracks at the edge of the layout. Not sure if I like it on the curve so I ran my passenger set by it. Not too bad. Here are some pictures, let me know what you think. Sorry for not cleaning it up a bit, I've been drilling for lights.

1F129B0F-F969-4FBE-BD42-96CB0206693A_1_105_c.jpeg
4820140C-21B8-49F8-AE9E-3C3825F7721F_1_105_c.jpeg
696B5B8A-1053-44B9-B5A4-FD05338CFCFB_1_105_c.jpeg
786E59F5-B80F-4692-B268-C9E15F941B83_1_105_c.jpeg
4EC84C1B-0DB6-4AB3-9677-8B730D4A1A07_1_105_c.jpeg
993071DE-6F5E-45D9-A11C-CE69924EB21E_1_105_c.jpeg
A7B1FBD5-522B-4CC4-B748-A6D9429AEAC0_1_105_c.jpeg
92175F27-CCB2-48BF-B0F1-75B3621B0F73_1_105_c.jpeg
3D00DD3D-6178-42ED-BD1F-F34BC11D50C0_1_105_c.jpeg
A9394878-2D89-41F9-AEB9-10F5D0134DAB_1_105_c.jpeg

Back