A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

BLI advertises - Minimum Operating Radius: 18 in or greater - Now I do have an issue that I just wrote BLI about. The Big Boy's top speed was 80 mph, ran full horsepower at around 50 mph. I have asked them if there is a setting for the Scale Speed or is this how the engine runs. Has a lot of power but I do notice that when climbing my 2% grade 34-degree radius turn it crawls up the grade fairly slow with or without rolling stock. When it flattens out its runs fairly quick but at full throttle, I would guess 35 - 40 scale mph. I don't have a way to measure it but I own enough to know. So I will let you know the answer that they give me. It does look pretty running around, though.

I am going to send it in to them. Not happy with the performance. it runs fine but seems to get hot and slows down a lot more lately. Currently it is parked.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was your radius of the loop where the track loops back up over itself? And what sort of clearance did you provide for the upper track over the lower one??
attachment.php

34 outside 32 inside. 4" clearence under bridges

Eric,

What's the plan for 'inside the loop,' over by the 'Cinnci' engine terminal? I like your other town, with the cable cars. Are you going to make a Winter scene over there, so you can run a 'Ski Train,' type of service?

Carl

Eric,

What's the plan for 'inside the loop,' over by the 'Cinnci' engine terminal? I like your other town, with the cable cars. Are you going to make a Winter scene over there, so you can run a 'Ski Train,' type of service?

Carl

Carl over by the Cincinnati area I am putting in a Drive-in movie with a working projector. Had one on my last layout. I am not putting in a winter scene, just a downtown area ( I think). Still in the thinking stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carl over by the Cincinnati area I am putting in a Drive-in movie with a working projector. Had one on my last layout. I am not putting in a winter scene, just a downtown area ( I think). Still in the thinking stage

Eric,

That makes sense. I remember the movie screen from your last layout.

FWIW, I like your bar area, too!

As for including a Winter scene, I think they're cool. Having one, that includes a ski area, would also give me an excuse to run some of my D&RGW F units and Concor passenger cars, even if I'm modeling NE Pennsy. My idea is that the 'Rio Grande Ski Train' franchised its brand to other locations and operators.

Looking forward to further posts & photos!

Carl

I hate winter! :)

Yeah, so do I, more or less, but I find well done Winter Scenes are interesting, in that they're different than most model railroads.

Years ago, there were some well done Winter modeling scenes that I saw either as a Model Railroader cover, or featured railroad, particularly along the Rio Grande, such as (Brian) Holtz D&RGW, + more recent scenes done by another Rio Grande modeler with the last name of Rand.

I really need to get back to working on this layout but I keep getting distracted. I finally found the car that made me fall in love with cars and got me into the Automotive repair business. I have looked for years to find a Model A that was not butchered and done well. I didn't want to restore any more cars, I just wanted to find one that has been done and I can still tinker with. So I finally found one from a friend of mine, 1929 Model A coupe with a rumble seat. This car is in very nice shape and was affordable. I am going to put it away in my garage and get back to work on the layout. I am happy that I finally own this piece of history tough.

IMG_3699.jpg

View attachment 63829

I got distracted also, 1966 Olds Cutlass with a 4-speed. I am working on my layout today.
Wayne

Very nice convertible, Wayne. We have a 1967 lemans convertible ( my wife’s car) had it since 1986
eb1cbec7b9b49423fc2f442e2122e095.jpg

Just sold the 1979 Pontiac Grandprix factory 4 speed. Helped pay for the Model A [emoji4]

Ps- love the wire hubcaps on your car[emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, Nice LeMans. I always liked the 65-67 A-body Olds and Pontiacs.This was my original 66 Cutlass 4-speed as delivered in April 66.
Great fun, probably the wrong thing to be talking abot on this forum. Nice chat Eric. Keep up the good work on your layout.
Wayne
1966 cutlass convert 2.jpg

So I finally found one from a friend of mine, 1929 Model A coupe with a rumble seat.
My "first" fixer upper car was a 1930 Model-A coupe. Not nearly as nice as that one you showed. Spent hours replacing sheet metal piece by piece. Before I could get it done, I ended up with and 1928 Model-A Crown Victoria version that actually ran!. Soon there after I got my first driving car and 1970 Cougar XR7 - That is the car I regret ever selling.

The closest they came from distracting me from trains was that they occupied the garage where I wanted my trains to be.

Eric, Nice LeMans. I always liked the 65-67 A-body Olds and Pontiacs.This was my original 66 Cutlass 4-speed as delivered in April 66.
Great fun, probably the wrong thing to be talking abot on this forum. Nice chat Eric. Keep up the good work on your layout.
Wayne
View attachment 63830

Yes, probably, but what the heck. Thanks Wayne for the pictures. Would love to see some pix of your layout again.

Back