A new beginning inspired from my old Central Midland Layout

Big E. I was wondering where you were. I really hate to hear that, I really hope everything comes out ok. We'll keep you and our thoughts and prayers. Very good attitude, keep going no matter what. Sucks that you don't have your stuff, but I am sure he can unwire it and get it to you. Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

Big E. I was wondering where you were. I really hate to hear that, I really hope everything comes out ok. We'll keep you and our thoughts and prayers. Very good attitude, keep going no matter what. Sucks that you don't have your stuff, but I am sure he can unwire it and get it to you. Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

Howdy Eric,
Your progress is awesome! Here is a little trackage I laid down the other night and into the morning. In general I try to do a little something - build structures and such - until I can start to really throw down on a new layout.
Some days I just don't have it in to mess with the stuff - emotionally (see depression) or physically. That chemo and radiation treatment stuff liked to have killed me.
But, I'm still here and ain't let this "cancer thing" mess with my plans. It's not likely I can move back to GA since I have no family there.
Getting my landlord in GA to send me my stuff is no rpoblem. Explaining to him that those engines are NOT cheap so pack them in the original boxes didnt' sink in. He sent my most expensive engine in an old Athearn blue box with little to no padding. He says figuring out what engine goes with what box is nearly impossible. Guess he never looked at ends where not only road name is plastered but so is the road number.
At least he's cutting me slack on paying him back on the shipping costs (up to around $150 and something last I knew). I feel bad about that.
I guess I'm the perfect tennant/rentor. I'm not there yet still pay the rent and the pet fee on top.
E

Edit:
here is the track I laid down the day/night. it's almost 20' from outside curve to the other end outside curve.
My current plan is only 16'.
NewTrackage_2.jpg

NewTrackage_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated Scenery

It was very hot over the weekend in Ohio. I got up early in the Morning this past Saturday and decided I was staying in and work on my scenery. I really want to get all the terrian down so I can start designing the rest of the scenery. So I worked my butt off for about 9 hours straight. Amazing what you can get done when you get on a roll. By Sunday I was putting some base stains on the scenery. I spend tonight applying some more paint washes. I have a lot more painting to do but it is looking like a railroad now. I special oredered a custom backdrop and I am hoping it looks as good as the "Mock Up" that they sent me. I was going to start painting my own back drop but I really wanted something deep and unique. Can't wait to put it up. I will post some pictures when I get the back drop up and when I get more painting done.

IMG_3336.jpg IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg IMG_3339.jpg

My Back Drop is up

Ok got my backdrop in and put up. I am pretty pleased with the results. I had the city of Cincinnati printed for the roundhouse backdrop since I live close to it.

Let m know what you think.

IMG_3365.jpg IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg IMG_3361.jpg[/LEFT][/CENTER]

Custom Backdrops

..... I have a lot more painting to do but it is looking like a railroad now. I special oredered a custom backdrop and I am hoping it looks as good as the "Mock Up" that they sent me. I was going to start painting my own back drop but I really wanted something deep and unique. Can't wait to put it up. I will post some pictures when I get the back drop up and when I get more painting done.
Very interesting Eric. Can you explain a bit more about how they generate these 'custom backdrop(s)' ?....sizes available, pricing, etc

I might choose such a route for my new layout construction...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-Hand-House-shed

Brian

Very interesting Eric. Can you explain a bit more about how they generate these 'custom backdrop(s)' ?....sizes available, pricing, etc

I might choose such a route for my new layout construction...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...-a-dbl-deck-layout-in-its-own-Hand-House-shed

Brian

Brian , I used this web site -http://railroadbackdrops.com/home/backdrops - James Adam was the guy I spoke with. He was very helpful on the phone and did "mock Ups" of what I wanted. I sent him 6-8 pictures of my layout at various angles. I told him that I wanted Cincinnati incorporated into it also. He was right on it and from start to finish he had them to me in under 3 weeks. Could have been faster if I would have made up my mind fsater. The prints are pretty much water proff and are great quality. I hung them with a wallpaper /Border adhesive. I do not recommend the self stick unless you are a pro. The wall papper adhesive was great to work with. My wife and I hung all 4 pieces in under 2 hours. That was just about 40 feet of scenery. I went this route becuase I really wanted to make it look professional. If you remember my old layout, I painted my background and it looked pretty good, but I wanted better. AS for the cost? Not cheap but for the quality , it was a bargain. 40feet 24 inches high shipped $460.00. Well worth it as you can see. It has just made the whole room. Give James a call, he'll treat you right.

So here is the over all view of the layout as looking from the bar area. This is why I wanted a great backdrop.

IMG_3367.jpg

Is it my eyes or what, that the tracks along the inner edge in this photo appear to be wavy (not straight)?? ...particularly when I enlarge the size of the photo.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62667&d=1501983345

if you are talking about the yard, yes a bit wavy because of the road coming in I had to turn them in a bit. I am going to rework some of the yard and fix that. Someone made a comment about that before and wanted to know if it is deffered maintenance. Remember I am not modeling any specific ERA and I am not worried about being 100% accurate. I model for the enjoyment, not for operations. Yes, I do like the 60's and 70's but I do older and newer stuff too. AKA the name "Any ERA Railroad" is the name. If a track gets a little wave to it I may not worry about it, adds character. ;) ( might have been having a drink during that section too!) I Run trains mainly when we have people over and there are days I will do some operations when I am bored. The artwork and collecting trains are my first love.

wavy track

I was NOT really trying to be a 'critical reviewer' with that comment, but rather I was wondering if this 'warped' in any way after being laid down??....temp, humidity, subroadbed changes, etc

I was really trying to be a 'critical reviewer' with that comment, but rather I was wondering if this 'warped' in any way after being laid down??....temp, humidity, subroadbed changes, etc

Brian, no problem. The only thing that gets me upset is a slow Bar tender. :p

Really to answer your question it is more of how it was laid down. I should have used a straight edge more. I spent so much time on the curves I neglected the straights. Will probably straighten them out better.

What was your radius of the loop where the track loops back up over itself? And what sort of clearance did you provide for the upper track over the lower one??
attachment.php

Dble Xovers verses Slip switches

Yes double Xovers & slip switches are used in VERY congested areas AND they are both maintenance headaches for prototype & model RRs!
I was looking back thru this thread and took note of these two types. I have several of each, but the 'slip' versions were the most complicated to see how they were redirecting the trains....ha...ha
Brian

BLI advertises - Minimum Operating Radius: 18 in or greater - Now I do have an issue that I just wrote BLI about. The Big Boy's top speed was 80 mph, ran full horsepower at around 50 mph. I have asked them if there is a setting for the Scale Speed or is this how the engine runs. Has a lot of power but I do notice that when climbing my 2% grade 34-degree radius turn it crawls up the grade fairly slow with or without rolling stock. When it flattens out its runs fairly quick but at full throttle, I would guess 35 - 40 scale mph. I don't have a way to measure it but I own enough to know. So I will let you know the answer that they give me. It does look pretty running around, though.

What became of your answer to these questions?

Ok got my backdrop in and put up. I am pretty pleased with the results. I had the city of Cincinnati printed for the roundhouse backdrop since I live close to it.

Let m know what you think.
Eric......that backdrop is real nice! I haven't got that far on my layout yet, but that is inspirational......something too aim for....

Back