A life with disabilities

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Do you have any disabilities? How do you cope with them? I'll kick this off.

I have severe nerve damage due to spinal meningitis and diabetes and am partially paralyzed. I have had to cope with mental and physical disabilities all my life. I grew up with multiple personalities and it took me many years to overcome that.

I also have a hearing aphasia. If you know what dyslexia is, imagine dyslexia for the hearing. In my case, the third syllable, third word, third sound would come before the second. An example would be if someone said 1 2 3 4, I would hear 1 3 2 4. If you said 'automobile' I would hear aumotolebi. To get around this, I had to learn to lip read when I was 4 years old. Using that and what I heard, I had to learn to break the words down, reassemble them and recognize them in the new format. That wasn't all. If you hear words a certain way, you say them that way. I had to learn to say the words not as I heard them, but as others could understand them. It's like learning a new language and being able to translate it and speak it at the same time. I also had and still have problems with obsessive compulsive disorders. I was also mentally retarded as a child. I have severe learning disorders. I have trouble with dyslexia, ADHD, I have a degenerative bone disease as well as a degenerative nerve condition, I am sterile due to damage caused by blood poisoning and lead poisoning. Do I let all this stop me? No! Here was my day today. I actually had a pretty good day today. Even though I had some dizzy spells that ended up with me against a wall or on the floor wondering what the * happened, I got all my work done by 3 pm.

As for backing out and giving up and staying home feeling sorry for myself, I don't know how to give up, I wouldn't know how to go about it because I'm not that kind of person. All my life I've had to deal with my disabilities. I learned early on that I have to keep a positive attitude and tackle each new day as a new challenge. Through the years, many people have used me as a role model for their loved ones who have disabilities. If I could go out and do things for myself, there's no reason that someone who has fewer problems than I do can't do the same. Admittedly, there's not much that I can do as far as a job is concerned. But that doesn't stop me from setting goals and achieving them. Over time I have become an example of what a person in my position can do to help themselves to the options that are available. I'm not going to let my problems stop me from achieving the goals that I set for myself.

I could have decided to just sit at home and think that I can't get anything done, so why bother trying. But I want to do for myself, as however I can. If that means working for minimum or near minimum wage in a wood shop that employs the disabled, so be it. It's honest work and an honest days pay and I set a good example for my friends and neighbors. Many of the fire fighters in the volunteer dept I'm a member of think that I'm a very special and determined person to keep pushing on the way I do. And I'm going to keep pushing on, ever forward, for as long as I can.

If anyone is thinking about giving up simply because they find it harder to get around or they can't stand or walk without some kind of difficulty or they have severe learning problems and can't easily learn new things, these are problems that I've dealt with my entire life and I will not let them stop me. Don't let them stop you, either.

Hi Jeffrey! Its nice to see such a great attitude towards lifes obstacles..

Thankfully I've not had any serious accidents, or illnesses to cost me a limb. I do have partial numbness in my right leg, took some getting used to, result of a car accident.

I have a great respect for those who overcome such obstacles.. my hats off to em

Do you have any disabilities? How do you cope with them? I'll kick this off....

If anyone is thinking about giving up simply because they find it harder to get around or they can't stand or walk without some kind of difficulty or they have severe learning problems and can't easily learn new things, these are problems that I've dealt with my entire life and I will not let them stop me. Don't let them stop you, either.

Jeff;

Way to go, man!:D You have stated it better than I ever could.

I don't have a functioning immune system and if it wasn't for the IGG treatments I get every month now, I'm sure I would'nt be around. When I was being treated for my last bad infection, the Drs. found out that I also have a blood clotting problem. It clots too fast! So now I'm on anticoaglulants from now on. Due to the number of clots that I have had, and the trauma done to my nerves in the shoulders from the number of central lines inserted, I also have nerve damage in both arms, causing chronic pain. I also have to walk with a cane due to damage in one foot caused by a combination of a chronic bone infection and 14 surgeries on it. Some days I can walk almost normally, while other days if I didn't have to walk at all, that would be fine too, as the foot hurts all the time as well.

I believe that if it wasn't for this fine hobby, that I probably would have checked out many years ago!:) I believe that as long as I can play with my trains, I'm much happier and to some extent, much healthier.

Jeff That's a very stormy life you have had, and to come through it with such a possitive attitude is fantastic sir.

Carey Model railroading is without a doubt a great morale booster and help's me get on with things.

As for me i have overcome dyslexia as a child but it still rear's it's ugly head once in a while. i have also got to think about what i do that could affect my sinus problems for instance making dust, useing CA glue and painting and so on, little things like that play havoc with me. i have recently found out i have a dead tumor in the brain along with a 3 inch section of dead brain which has caused an acute hearing loss, i can't hear high pitch noises and unfortunatly my wife's voice also fall's into the deaf zone, honest. I never noticed a hearing problem till six years ago and the recent test results promted some investigation and it all points to an accident in 1985, i was a passenger in a small coach which went over at 50 mph onto my side, i had three men drop on top of me whacking me into the window on my left, which hurt a lot, i remember it all very well, the outcome was a huge lump on the head and the headache from hell for a week, the doctor just said it will go away, charming. According to my consultant surgeon the brain injury was very serious at the time, following this a tumor grew and died which he's never seen before so i recon i'm very very lucky to be here. At the moment i'm being treated for depression, the happy tablets i'm taking seem to be working very well apart from not sleaping to well but it should settle in time,, apart from that and a touch of poor eyesight everythings great.

and the bus, it was spinning round from way over the far side of the picture, around 140 yds after going over
that's me on the grass second from the right (with hair) the guy to the right had a broken knee, the two sat to the left both had broken arm's and the one lying down had a broken back,
tomjacksoncoachcrash1985.jpg

Constant muscle cramping in my back, coupled with severe numbness, tingling, loss of control, and loss of feeling in my right (dominant) arm. Enough to earn me 10% from the VA.

Hmmm...nothing to qualify posting on this particular thread. 99% of my problems are somewhere between my right ear and left ear...

Steve that's an intense photo, it must bring back some painful memories (no pun intended)

I remember it Very well, it was exciting when the bus skided one way but when it went the other way and hit a curb sideways it was not quite as exciting but more of a "Oh Dear" this will not be good fun type of feeling, i remember laughing as we crawled through the roof light,, till the pain kicked in, i laughed again as we were racing to hospital in the ambulance, lord knows why but all three of us were laughing at what turned out to be the shortest works outing in history.

Morning Jeff.Happy New Year,and welcome to the forum. After reading your post,about all I can say is,whoa,wow man. But to have overcome such hurdles in life is truly amazing. The worst that ever to me,was back in 1994,when a gentleman in a Mazda Glc sedan plowed into my car,and totalled it,and popped my shoulder out.I was out of work for one month. I hope that you continue to improve,and get better,and that if there is anything you want ask me,I hope I have the answer .So again,Welcome aboard sir,I hope that you enjoy being here.William.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you have done very well for yourself. I was born with a hereditary bone disease that causes tumors in the joints. I have torn the ligaments and cartiledge in my right knee five times and had two surgeries on it. All told I have had 13 surgeries. I almsot lost the use of my left arm two different times, once to a bone tumor and once to a pinched nerve in my neck. I am in pain continously if I take the time to inventory myself. Since that is the case I try to stay so busy I don't have time to think about the pain. I work for a hospital as a bio-medical electronics technician. My hobbies are railfanning, photography, model railroading, birding, and singing in a Christian Men's chorus; so I stay busy. For dealing with pain I find there is nothing better than singing or playing (I play the saxaphone and keyboard) a song of praise to God for what he has given me. I have a wife (29 yrs) two boys, 28 and 25, an adopted "daughter" and two grandsons. All in all God has been good to me.

Keith Owen

Youngwarrior:I'm glad to know I'm not the only in pain 24/7. You're right, keeping busy does help. Problem is, I can't move around much, but I do what I can.

I like to tell people who whine about cuts & bruises, that they have no idea, but reading some of these injuries, I'm not "that bad off"...

Actually I'm just glad to still be here as 2007 begins. I almost didn't make it. Last March and April I missed 6 weeks of work due to a pinched nerve in my neck. Had surgery to correct that then came down with an intestinal infection. While on the antibiotics I just got sicker and sicker. I got so sick I lost interest in almost everything. Finally I started vomiting so I quit taking the antibiotics. When I went to the doctor the next day he told me if I hadn't started vomiting I would have died within 48 hrs. So as you can guess I am just glad to still be here.

Keith Owen

Keith: That sure sounds like you had a close one there. Infections aren't fun.

For those who figure that they are in too bad of shape to try helping themselves, I have this to say to you.

A person either meets life head-on and licks it or turns their back on it and starts to whither away.

Jeffrey,As I mention having survive a near fatal heart attack in 2005 and losing the full use of my right hand I can vouch for the term "old lefty"..I had to relearn to do a lot of the simplest things such as signing my name-if you want to call chicken scratches writing-with my left hand..Now add the fact I have a defibrillator implant,2 stints and to top that off I have arthritis in my lower back(L4-L5 area) and suffer sleep problems due to Post Vietnam Stress Syndrome..I have more health restrictions then the law should allow.
While I was in a nursing home for extended health care I became depress and threw self pity parties on a daily bases.However,my daughter brought me the April and May issues of MR and RMC and those 2 magazines really boosted my low spirits and after being allowed a day out of the nursing home and watching some NS trains,I begin to plan on finishing my switching layout and counting the days I had left in the nursing home.:D
To be sure I would be lost without the hobby and the 3 clubs I am a member of.
I fully agree with your statement:
=======================================================
A person either meets life head-on and licks it or turns their back on it and starts to whither away.
=======================================================
And I believe that says it all.

I'am 65 years young,I know what is like to live in pain 24/7 in 1969 in NAM I did,nt dodge quick enough,and have been messed up in the head and body ever sence,But have managed to live a good life so far,do to my wife of 41 ,years and my kids,grand kids and great grand kids and my trains,went and had a check up two years ago at the VA,and they added Diebeatis to my list(70% disabled)Prostate cancer,two years after sergrey,have been cancer free!!Hearing loss at 50% a plus at times LOL,my hat is off to ya Pal,do like me hang in there!!Best of luck to you!!
JIM

Add me to the "cripple roster". Lost both legs above the knee this last November in a motorcycle accident. I WILL do the impossible and get back on a 2 wheeler. Currently I'm working on a project on my chopper. It's a great candidate because it's a suicide shift and has only a rear brake. The foot clutch will be moved to the suicide shift handle via a brake style lever. To stop I'm going to modify 2 kick stands to act as landing gear to hold the bike upright. The landing gear will deloy pneumatically via a switch on the right handlebar. The modified kickstands will have small tires mounted on the end. As I come to a stop I'll flip a switch, the kick stands will pop out and the bike will be held up right. When I go again I will bring the bike up to speed, flip the switch releasing the air pressure and a spring will retract the landing gear. It's pretty ingenious actually. To hold myself on the bike I will see about modifying a set of prosthetics that can be easily strapped to the bikes frame. Live to ride, ride to live!
On another note I just dropped a nice chunk of change on a model railroad train and track to get me started. Hope it's as much fun as ya'll say it is.
Harry

Just would like to cheer everyone for their Fortitude and courage thru their trying times !!!!!

Harry: Model railroading is like life, it has it's trails and tribulations but it also has it's share of good times and pride.

well I don't know if this count's but I do Have bad respitory problems, allergys and Asthma so bad I catch Pneumonia, Bronchitus, Siniustitus seames every 6 months and I'm only 22. They know me by name in the emergency room. Also sever headaches, High blood Preasure, as well to deal with the fact that my Sinuses may be open for only 1-2 hours in a 24 hour period, and a discharge from my eyes that will blind me at a moments notice, not very good when driving. also I wake up in the morning and it seams my eyes are glued shut, but just another gift from my eyes discharge. But nothing to complaine about I'm alive thats all that matters

Back