A huge day planned

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
Well after a month or so of waiting I'm off on my rail journey today, IN the cab!! Sitting here having and coffee and breakfast with nervous excitement.

This where I'm heading, freight train up to Kaikoura, wait for the passenger train from Picton which we're bringing back to Christchurch.
http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/coastal.aspx

About a 9 hour day.

Full report and some photo's later.

Ken.

Right sorry about the delay, Brigettes birthday 2day.

Beautiful day for a train trip, started at the Middleton yards around 10.30 ( they really look like what I'm trying to model )

agj.sized.jpg

agk.sized.jpg

agl.sized.jpg

The view straight ahead of me as we eased out of the yard heading for the main line and then onto the north single track

agm.sized.jpg

We where running really light, two locos, we shut the second one off, and six flat cars
agn.sized.jpg

Darryl my engineer for the day, old GE loco not sure what model.

ago.sized.jpg

Our first stop we are sitting in the loop waiting on this train from picton.
This train coming round the corner asked us what happened to the rest of our train!! Cheeky.

agp.sized.jpg

An interesting system they use, no signal lights for track clearance, just radio train control in Wellington, they issue a track warrant for as far as they think you'll get before meeting another train. Then you are told to sit in the hole and wait.

Our gauge is so narrow ( 3' 6" ) that I'm hanging out over the water!! scary!!

agq.sized.jpg

We have met the Pacific ocean, the tracks run along the beach (nearly) up
the coast, constant maintenance keeps it running.

agr.sized.jpg

Back inland for a bit and our first tunnel 983 metres.

ags.sized.jpg

2nd rail tunnel and two tunnels for the main north south highway. They had to cut the highway tunnels at the top to get bigger truck/ containers thru.

agt.sized.jpg

same tunnel I think? it runs right next to the road but is cut into the hillside so they built vents into it to let steam ( in those days ) out

agu.sized.jpg

My arts fartsy shot!!

agv.sized.jpg

Tunnel number 3, when they were building it colapsed in the middle so they ran the rail round the hill, but didn't rename the rest of the tunnels so it's still number 3!!

ahb.sized.jpg

Kaikoura, if you ever wanna see some whales up close this is da place.
passenger station is still used too.

agw.sized.jpg

Our destination. The red light indicates we have to take the loop, stop here and unlock the small box middle of pic, pushbutton moves the points and gives a yellow light.

agx.sized.jpg

My ride

agy.sized.jpg

Our return journey in the passenger train. Purple light indicates turnout is set for the main (us)

agz.sized.jpg

Two locos and 8 passenger cars ( a big train )

aha.sized.jpg

Thats about my day, had a couple of close calls with stupid motorists!! but along pull on the horn wakes them up

I took some video of the rock n roll of the loco but it's not to good, boy I thought we would derail at times it really bounced around

Hope you enjoyed my day.

Darryl has asked if I want to go to the other coast on the passenger train ( I said yes!! ) so that's coming up soon I hope.

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waaaay Cool! :cool:

On the pic with the RR tunnel and two highway tunnels, is that a 4th bore to the far right of the pic?

Yeah guys I was excited, really nice way to spend the day. Eric I'm not sure about that other hole, I looked on the original photo, but it's too shadowy to tell. Next time I'm up that way I'll look.

Ken.

WOW, Ken! That is absolutely railfantastic!
Thank you for sharing a great trip with us. Did you get to blow the horn...just once...maybe...?:D :D

Saw a New Zealand travelogue on the Travel channel about a week ago. It was from your shores, to the snow cap mountains, to a big sink hole in a national park. The hostess was your Lady Prime Minister. She sure is athletic and did rock climbing, repelling, skiing, and etc...
What a beautiful country!! ;)

No blowing of the horn:( But I did have to watch out for the signal from the train manager (conductor) when we were ready to pull out of Kaikoura. His RT went flat so we went to manual mode!!:D

Our PM, ugly as s.. but boy shes done alot for this country.

Ken.

Well guys I'm back from another cab ride, this time on the Midland line (the one I'm modelling, sort of) Runs Through the Southern Alps to Greymouth.

Just a few photo's this time, a dark overcast day, in the mountains!

A few of the tunnels have a 25 kmph speed limit because they are very tight, if the loco rocks to much they scrape the tunnel.

Ken.

One of the tunnels I couldn't get a photo of is Otira tunnel 8.5 Kms long 1:33 grade, cab passengers have to sit with the paying passengers because of the risk of fumes.

On the return trip up the tunnel a hydraulic door shuts behind the train and three huge fans start up to suck the fumes out, the wind speed is enormous it would blow you over!!

5 loco's are used to pull the coal trains up the grade.

The stop at Stillwater is where the single line automatics end and we need a track warrant from train control to proceed.

Ken.

Who left the turnout set for the loop!!! intermediate signal was yellow a mile or two back.

Old building was a string factory, outside pulley drives on the roof.

Chinese sleepers.

Ken.

grande man said:
Those are some COOL pics. :cool: What does the blue signal indicate?

The blue indicates the turnout is set for us (purple is the right line)

This for the warrant system only, the automatic single line is green yellow red like most other systems.

Ken.

Cool!!!!! Great photo op! I wish the local Finger Lakes Scenic Railroad would let people ride in the cab. I might even end up liking some diseasals.

Knowing you had great fun. (Dang! I am still s-o-o-o envious)
I really enjoy seeing the pictures...well...the jury is still out on the self-portrait:eek::D:D.

Back