A History lesson from the UK

Steve B

Firefighter
Hello folks, thanks go to GM for the motivation, i decided to post some info from a place called Pickerings Lock in Cheshire. My parents and grandparents have always had a caravan on the trailor park at this location on the banks of the river weaver in cheshire, i remember the last steam train's going over the weaver viaduct and the ships going to ICI chemicals and salt at Northwich, an incident i remember from a child is when the mast would not fit under the viaduct so the crew climbed up and sawed it off.
here goes,
Below is a Tug used with the dredger barge
144268025.gif

below is the Weaver viaduct with a slow moving freight hauled by a class 92
144268447.gif

Below are my boys investigating the resident swans nest
144268028.gif

Below is an RB22 on a barge by the small lock gates which are silted up
144268030.gif

Below is another shot of the barges, the small one in front is used on the narrow canals
144268041.gif

Below is an old sunken hulk that once earned it's keep working down the African coast and retired on river trips before sinking over 20 years ago
144268037.gif

Below another view of Chila
144268423.gif

Below is one of the many capstans that once moored up dozens of ships, the initials stand for River weaver Navigation,
144268433.gif

Below is a sign board showing where boats and ships came from
144268440.gif

another shot of the viaduct with an EMD 66 rolling over
144268443.gif

More pictures and info at http://www.duttonlockkeeper.com/
and here are some Tug boats http://www.tugtalk.co.uk/viewalbum.asp?folder=British+Waterways+Tugs

Awesome post Steve! Thanks for including us on your trip. Contrary to what I thought when I was in school (yes Rex, I did go to school, roughest 2 years of my life. :D ) history is way cool. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent pix Steve, especially the one about the sunken hulk! There's a bit of history close to where I live - of course a gazzillon people have written about it, so there's nothing I could add. I still might just take a walk along the Olde Main Line someday though - since it is the first RR that existed in the US...

grande man said:
Awesome post Steve! Thanks for including us on your trip. Contrary to what I thought when I was in school (yes Rex, I did go to school, roughest 2 years of my life. :D ) history is way cool. :cool:
:D Grande Man... there you go bragging about your higher education by "graduating" from second grade.
Some of us "good ol' boys" just couldn't stand being cooped up two years in a row!;)

Chears gent's,
Ken l give it a shot Ken it doesn't matter if it's been written about a dozen times, everyone's view is different and individual

Histoay lesson

Nice pictures Steve, great to see another part of our small world OLDGETTYSK

Back