A few shots from the Alrails meet in Irondale, Al

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone.

The Alrails Yahoo group had an impromptu meet at Irondale, Al yesterday to hang out, shoot trains and enjoy the awesome weather. For anyone interested in alrails check it out here... http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/alrails/

After a busy morning at the Norris Yard shooting NS and Amtrak, we had lunch at the famous Irondale Cafe (Green Fried Tomatoes ;)). From there, we all headed to the downtown area to shoot from an overpass. While we were there, the local Fox news crew stopped by and interviewed several of the guys and shot video! We may make the news and, hopefully, present railfans in good light to the local general public, law enforcement, and railroad employees.

My thanks to Alrails admin Dale Burns for organizing this get together. Dale also runs a very cool railfanning site, http://www.alabamarailpics.com/

If we ever mixed the Alrails group with the ARG, we'd probably go critical mass! :D:D:D

Here are a few sample pics...

NS approach to Norris Yard.
3261220183_a529425fbb_o.jpg

Power on tap.
3261220189_618d6d8ba5_o.jpg

Amtrak heads toward downtown Birmingham.
3263019275_dc9442ae86_o.jpg

The interview...
3262953307_07b042acb8_o.jpg

great shots I like all of them

Thanks Alan. I posted this hoping some of our local guys here on the forum will join alrails. Its a great resource for area railfans (and potentially modelers as well) and, if the first get together is any indication of the fun future events may be, it is well worth the time to participate. We had a blast! :)

Looks like you folks had lots of fun, I couldn't make this meet, but I will say that the ALRails group is one of the best out there.. I joined about two years ago, and have been impressed at how helpful everyone is.

Great photos, glad the weather cooperated.

Mmmm...the Irondale Cafe. Great food and a great place to watch trains. Looks like you guys had some great action compared to when we were there last. That's pretty cool that rail fans got on the news. Like you say, maybe it will help with the image, especially among the local cops. I applied for membership at the Yahoo group so I should see you over there.

Back