A couple of UP Box Cars

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
I joined the HO Swap email list a while ago, and have bought a few things from people there. This is both a good thing, and a bad thing. :)

Anyway, the last thing I purchased was a set of three box car kits. Two UP and one Frisco. My general rule for buying rolling stock these days is that I have to think it looks neat, and it needs reporting marks pre-1958 (but not too much before that.)

I liked the slogans on these three box cars, and they were cheap, so I pulled the trigger. Over the last couple of days I took a break from Tylick Tool and put together the two UP cars.

The first one is an Athearn 50' single door with a Branchline paint job on it.

Being an Athearn kit, I pretty much just put it together. I did paint the underframe and trucks and installed Kadee couplers and metal wheels.

The second one was a McKeen Kwikit model of a 40' single door. It's a simpler kit than the last McKeen I built - it only had separate roof, roofwalk, underframe and doors. I did manage to immediately break off a stirrup, not sure how, so I finally got to use some of the A-Line metal ones I bought a while ago.

Another pair of nice editions to the fleet I think.

I remember reading in 'Model Railroader', years ago, about how one of the "great model railroaders of the past" increased the size of his rolling stock fleet by taking a standard color box car and putting the markings of one railroad on one side and a different railroad on the other side. I guess that would work on a layout where you didn't see both sides of the car on a single given pass around the layout... ;)

I remember reading in 'Model Railroader', years ago, about how one of the "great model railroaders of the past" increased the size of his rolling stock fleet by taking a standard color box car and putting the markings of one railroad on one side and a different railroad on the other side. I guess that would work on a layout where you didn't see both sides of the car on a single given pass around the layout... ;)

Same trick works for a building or a vehicle's reflection in a mirror installed on a layout. Ala John Allen and his G&D layout.

Greg

Or don't do any sort of car-forwarding operations where you track cars and car numbers...

Back