A business we can model

Bread&steel

We have an industry of sorts in our little town of Portland Connecticut and it's a business that uses 6 to 8 railcars every few days. Empties are brought in and loaded cars are picked up. The railroad is the P&W. The great part of this business is that it's easy to model and generates a lot of traffic. You will need large dumpter type trucks or dump trucks and a road leading to the building. Pike stuff would work great here. If you guys are interested I will start taking pictures and giving you mulitmap links.

Larry

Larry that sounds like just the thing I'm planning right now...
Git 'r done!

Will do ! The business is called, Midstate Recovery Systems They use high side gons. Some were even plate F .. The full cars are taken up to Hartford.

First some links

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=po...portland|Portland, Connecticut, United States

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=po...portland|Portland, Connecticut, United States

That's a start The purpose of this facility is volume reduction. Trucks bring in construction debris. Demolished building etc. The truck is first weighted then backs into the unloading ramp. The empty truck is weighted again and the constrution company billed for the load. Grinders inside the building reduce the volume of the debris and it's then loading into cars with a front loader. The cars are loaded inside the building.

The third link may not work. I need to do it again. I will take pictures later.
OH! click on the small arrow on the left side of the picture to expand it.

This is great for a industrial filler. The building can be smaller then most and still generate a lot of traffic. Do you have or can you get photos inside the building? That would really help modeling the crushers that would be inside there.
Dave

This is great for a industrial filler. The building can be smaller then most and still generate a lot of traffic. Do you have or can you get photos inside the building? That would really help modeling the crushers that would be inside there.
Dave

It can't hurt to try. I'll take outside pictures and see if they will let me snap a few inside.

first picture

200903.png

Pikesuff buildings would be perfect for that operation.

Now, if you want a really-bare-bones space filler on the layout, try a "team-track" of sorts for tank cars. One I know of here in Houston consists of 3 closely spaced tracks, each long enough to hold 3-4 standard tankcars. Add a "parking lot" of asphalt in between 2 of the tracks wide enough for a couple of tanker/fuel trucks. Surround the whole thing with a fence and viola! an industry....All track switches/turnouts are outside the fence. Simple chainlink gates open to control access of either truck or train. No sheds, no buildings. When I do see trucks in there, they have a simple hose going from a tank car to the truck. I suspect they are fuel distributors, unloading the tankcars to take fuel to point of use, perhaps the railroad itself.

It not only is a spot for traffic generation but can serve the more realistic need of storage space.....

Will do ! The business is called, Midstate Recovery Systems They use high side gons. Some were even plate F .. The full cars are taken up to Hartford.

First some links

That's a start The purpose of this facility is volume reduction. Trucks bring in construction debris. Demolished building etc. The truck is first weighted then backs into the unloading ramp. The empty truck is weighted again and the constrution company billed for the load. Grinders inside the building reduce the volume of the debris and it's then loading into cars with a front loader. The cars are loaded inside the building.

Thats a perfect industry that you could model and if your into operations but dont want another complicated industry that has to many businesses or customers along with it. Like say a manufacturing operation where cars bring in one meterial, which is molded into a part or product, then picked up to be assembled at another business, then completed part is picked up and sent to the proper business to be sold, put into service, etc.

With this you simply bring empty cars here to get filled up, grab the full cars and bring them to get emptied then back to be filled up again.

With this you simply bring empty cars here to get filled up, grab the full cars and bring them to get emptied then back to be filled up again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah....isn't it sweet!

BTW......Athearn has lots of bathtube gons

Pikesuff buildings would be perfect for that operation.

Now, if you want a really-bare-bones space filler on the layout, try a "team-track" of sorts for tank cars. One I know of here in Houston consists of 3 closely spaced tracks, each long enough to hold 3-4 standard tankcars. Add a "parking lot" of asphalt in between 2 of the tracks wide enough for a couple of tanker/fuel trucks. Surround the whole thing with a fence and viola! an industry....All track switches/turnouts are outside the fence. Simple chainlink gates open to control access of either truck or train. No sheds, no buildings. When I do see trucks in there, they have a simple hose going from a tank car to the truck. I suspect they are fuel distributors, unloading the tankcars to take fuel to point of use, perhaps the railroad itself.

It not only is a spot for traffic generation but can serve the more realistic need of storage space.....

I like that idea. I've been trying to figure out how to add a small petroleum operation to my layout and this will be it.

Larry, cool little industry!
I've been looking for something to jam up against the fascia, this just may be it, thanx!

That industry would fit perfectly on a module that I am building and I already have some surplus high side gons that I could use for this service.

In a different note. I always roll the camera along the tracks when someone posts a moveable map like this. Just to see what cool stuff I might find.

There is a really cool swing bridge that is just west of this complex. It looks like its over the river running behind the property. That would be also be nice looking on a model railroad.

In a different note. I always roll the camera along the tracks when someone posts a moveable map like this. Just to see what cool stuff I might find.

There is a really cool swing bridge that is just west of this complex. It looks like its over the river running behind the property. That would be also be nice looking on a model railroad.

That's a very cool bridge. It spans the Connecticut river at Middletown and Portland. Here are two pictures

IMG_4123_Providence_and_Worcester_b.png

2529_1206637200.png

Notice the bathtube gons heading for Mid-state Recovery

Back