A building, a layout, finally!!

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Well I finally will have a place to build a layout. My wife said she was tired of me having 54 totes of trains and nowhere to put them. It really was her idea!! LOL So I am building a 3rd garage stall next to the existing 2 car garage. The first drawing is the overall room shape. It'll be 12' X 25' in size. I have already installed a door that will lead to the train room, then I removed the existing deck that was there.

I am waiting on the county currently for the building permits and environmental survey to be completed. My budget is all set and financed. The building will be completely insulated, heated and air conditioned. I plan on making a removable wall in front of the garage door. The plan is in 10-12 years when I retire, I can quickly convert it back into a garage. But not just another garage stall, an insulated, heated and air conditioned shop. Good selling point for later. ;)

I am thinking a 30" deep shelf layout approximately 40" off of the floor . I know I will need a drop down bridge for the doorway, so I am looking into old posts for good ideas there. I would appreciate any and all feedback and ideas from you guys that have done this before. I haven't had a layout since 1992, and that was a 4 section modular layout.
garage.png

Attachments

• 20190118_171027.jpg
    20190118_171027.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 7,853
  • 20190118_171045.jpg
    20190118_171045.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 429
30" is quite deep! I did 24" and it was still a reach to work on things far away. I suggest no higher than what your arm is at horizontal and no deeper than your arm fully extended without your body leaning over. If you make your shelf even less, say 12", you may be able to fit a long peninsula into the space. Is it point to point or a loop? Starting from the door going right, then back out into a peninsula, then back to the right and along the wall to the door again would give you about a 100' long run.

Congratulations on the space!

Thank you Mike.

30" is quite deep! I did 24" and it was still a reach to work on things far away. I suggest no higher than what your arm is at horizontal and no deeper than your arm fully extended without your body leaning over. If you make your shelf even less, say 12", you may be able to fit a long peninsula into the space. Is it point to point or a loop? Starting from the door going right, then back out into a peninsula, then back to the right and along the wall to the door again would give you about a 100' long run.

Tim, going to be a complete loop. My last modular was 4' deep, so 30" deep should be no troubles.

Wow, great news dude!
So all the times you sat amongst all the totes looking at her with those sad puppy dog eyes finally paid off! ;)
Can't wait to see the trackplan you wind up with, I'll bet itll have a huge loco servicing scene?

Wow, great news dude!
So all the times you sat amongst all the totes looking at her with those sad puppy dog eyes finally paid off! ;)
Can't wait to see the trackplan you wind up with, I'll bet itll have a huge loco servicing scene?

I'll probably use the long wall for JTEX. I've gotta fit those 400+ switches somewhere!! LOL

It'll be 12' X 25' in size. I have already installed a door that will lead to the train room, then I removed the existing deck that was there.

I am thinking a 30" deep shelf layout approximately 40" off of the floor . I know I will need a drop down bridge for the doorway, so I am looking into old posts for good ideas there. I would appreciate any and all feedback and ideas from you guys that have done this before.

Couple of my observations,...
1) My new swing up entranceway gate/bridges
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...t-room-entranceway-bridges.31122/#post-451445

2) Overall width,..
My train shed is 12 x 16 outside dimensions,...11x15 inside dimensions. And my widest deck on the sides is 29". I wish I had about a foot wider layout (13') if at all possible,...would have been wider aisles.
DSCF3351%2C%20new%20steel%20idea.jpg

3) Layout planning,...
I eventually gravitated to laying out my plan at full scale (by sections at a time) on a 4x8 plywood table.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...per-templates-of-trackplan.30958/#post-448799

Couple of my observations,...
1) My new swing up entranceway gate/bridges
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...t-room-entranceway-bridges.31122/#post-451445

2) Overall width,..
My train shed is 12 x 16 outside dimensions,...11x15 inside dimensions. And my widest deck on the sides is 29". I wish I had about a foot wider layout (13') if at all possible,...would have been wider aisles.
DSCF3351%2C%20new%20steel%20idea.jpg

3) Layout planning,...
I eventually gravitated to laying out my plan at full scale (by sections at a time) on a 4x8 plywood table.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...per-templates-of-trackplan.30958/#post-448799

All good points to ponder. I don't think I'll need as wide of a swing up entrance way as you have though. Just a simple 36" drop section.

Convert it back to a garage in 10-12 years?! :eek: You'll be lucky if the layout doesn't expand into at least one of the other two stalls! After all, your vehicles can stay outside, regardless of the weather. And you can always insulate, heal and cool the rest of the building fairly reasonably! ;) You only think retirement will change thins. If your last layout was in 1992, you may have forgotten that model railroading can be as addictive as tobacco or other stuff, and probably more expensive! (Does anybody out there want to found an organization called "Mantua steam locomotive kitbashers' annoymous"? :p )

I'm a little late to this party, but WOW … That is an awesome start!
How great it is to have a dedicated space!
Will try and stay tuned for the progress.

OK, latest update: Environmental Survey is completed. Plans are approved. Building Permit is issued. Concrete Contractor has me on his schedule when weather permits. Once the footings and floor are done, then the real work begins. I'm doing the build :rolleyes:

Keep us posted on the progress Jerome! I can't wait to see it come together!

Probably feels good to get a start on this! Hopefully you have good weather, and things move steadily along for you. Take lots of photos, and continue to share the progress.

Back