89' Autoracks

I dont have any yet.. Im curious what radius curves these like and dont like?? I know wider is better but not always an option, im tryin to keep my curves to 18-20" radii and Dont want to have any problems with these.

Any Input is Appreciated!

i have just one autorack and it runs just about OK through 22" r curves, it's not the turning circle of the trucks that's the problem it's the swing out from the coupler that's the big problem, it want to de rail on any tighter curves

Thanks! Yeah I knew it was the overhang. 22" eh. I watch enough of these cars get loaded @ work so I might as well model them too!!
Now I just need to find the loading ramps that Walthers has seemingly discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet. Im gonna head up on the Yard @ work and get some photos of the real ones Toyota uses. See how hard they'll be to scratch build.

I've got some browsing to do on Ebay tonite anyway, I'll see if i can find any. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks! Yeah I knew it was the overhang. 22" eh. I watch enough of these cars get loaded @ work so I might as well model them too!!
Now I just need to find the loading ramps that Walthers has seemingly discontinued.
Not yet. Im gonna head up on the Yard @ work and get some photos of the real ones Toyota uses. See how hard they'll be to scratch build.

I've got some browsing to do on Ebay tonite anyway, I'll see if i can find any. Thanks for the suggestion.
The Hobby store just down the road (Hobby Central) from me has one on the shelf that I've been eying up for some time now, but I've avoided it because I have no use. Visit their site, and contact them, tell them a local contact (in the San Diego area) spotted one on the shelf in the HO train area, and you'd like it if they still have it (been a month since I've been there, err, well atleast gone beyond the paint corner...).

Found one on Ebay. Whew had to wade thru 21 pages of stuff thou. Its got 3 days left, wonder how expensive it'll get?

Josh, Thanks for the heads up. Ill see how this auction plays out first. The Way its lookin on paper, im going to need... 3 to 5 ramps..

Josh, I went ahead and sent the HS a email with a link to the picture of the Ramp thats on ebay. Ive checked my old Walthers books, and cant find a P/N they only show them in the distribution facility Kit. We'll see what Happens! Thanks again

Josh, finally got a reply from your LHS, said it wasnt on the shelf any longer. Oh well. I lost the ebay auction by .50 cents too, I was at work when it ended

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

I feel your pain. I barely missed a discontinued Walthers LP Gas Supply depot on ebay a year ago.

However, between Plastruct and Evergreen, I was able to get enough styrene pieces to scratchbuild my own. I'm sure you can do the same with your unloading rack - you'll just need to do a little extra cutting to get the pieces the right length.

Here's a few pix I snagged online: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_autorack.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atr/at-a.jpg
http://www.monon.monon.org/railpixs4/08-03Chippewa-North.jpg

I am fortunate enough that I have access to the real ones, I do heavy haul for the toyota plant in Georgetown, so Im in and around the plant, and the railyard (theres a massive # of containers that come in from Japan) so getting some pics shouldnt be too hard with my 500mm zoom lens on the camera. We'll see. Thanks for the pics Ken!

Josh, finally got a reply from your LHS, said it wasnt on the shelf any longer. Oh well. I lost the ebay auction by .50 cents too, I was at work when it ended
I'll double check for you one the coming days, I think Thursday is a 10-7 for me, so I can make it in the morning.

thanks josh! I appreciate that. I checked three different Hobby Shops up in Ohio Saturday, no luck, did find a transfer table, and the extension for it, but price tag was Way high (over 300 bucks)

Back