8030 Illinois central

WillisD

I am new to this forum, and still a novus , so please bare with me. I have two steamers and a 1972 8030 Illinois central. About a month ago the 8030 brass worm gear just totally stripped. I called lionel service for advice, they said they couldn't help but put me in contact wa couple of companies that might be able to , As it turned out I was able to buy a second 8030 that appears to be in better condition than the first . So at this point I want to make the broken one a dummy. I went to my local lionel authorized service to see what I needed to do. I have removed all the gears that could cause drag. removed the motor and have it stored. My problem and concern is the new one will eventually pull it but it takes a minute to gain traction and then seams to be in a hard pull. I don't want to damage the new one so for now I am not using the dummy. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LOUIS Bruette along with Iron Horseman seem to be our inhouse Lionel guys?
Send them a private message in case they have not seen your post?

Later today I will look up that Loco and see if I can offer any help?
Bear with me on this - busy!

I just looked on the eBay site - there seems to be a great deal of parts for the 8030?
Is that worm gear shown there the one you need?

Do the wheels on the non powered unit move unrestricted - no binding?
On a "Dummy" B-Unit that I have - it seems to roll freely, but it's heavy!

I just looked on the eBay site - there seems to be a great deal of parts for the 8030?
Is that worm gear shown there the one you need?

Do the wheels on the non powered unit move unrestricted - no binding?
On a "Dummy" B-Unit that I have - it seems to roll freely, but it's heavy!
The wheels roll freely, but as you mentioned it is a heavy engine . It will roll almost as easily as any of the stock attached to the train.

I have two steamers and a 1972 8030 Illinois central. About a month ago the 8030 brass worm gear just totally stripped.
That is a sharp looking locomotive. This is one where the motor is mounted on the truck correct? And I agree with the others. Since Lionel isn't being helpful e-bay is your friend. Looks like lots of parts for it out there.

Back