60163 passes 75mph test, check that whistle

Steve B

Firefighter
Give an English man a task,,, let's build a brand new main line steam loco in 17 years from scratch, this is what you get,

Tornado

That whistle is fantastic

A1 steam locomotive trust

:D

Same place different angle

Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end

Best bit, that was 75mph, she's now at YORK to be painted LNER green, and once back on the main line in a few week's, she's got a ticket for 95mph :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet the English still can't make a good car. :D Heck of a steam locomotive though. I've never heard a whistle quite like that. It's not as deep as US whistles but not as high pitched as the typical UK whistle. It's sure loud and sounds good when the engineer is really playing it. What time of night was that? There sure was quite a crowd on hand.

Oh WOW!!!!! Yes, Yes ,YES!!!! I got goosebumps and can smell the coal and steam all the way over here! Stuff like that gets me all excited........;)

Thanks Steve!

Got me Drooling as well, it was around 10-11pm, there was 2000 on one station,,, at 11pm, that says it all !!!. Pity i could not get there to see it,,,,, but it's planned for a daylight trip soon at 90mph :) :) :) Wahey, bring it on.

In that video, you could actually hear people applauding as the train went by. I wonder how many Americans except die hard railfans like us would show up at 11 pm to see a steam engine go by?

You have to remember that the guy who designed the originals was from this area, a lot of the old chaps worked in the railways and heavy industry that they served so it's in the blood. This is just about the achievement of a lifetime for all involved, it's not just a steam loco, it's a brand new steam loco, the first truly brand new one since 1960 in the UK. I think the only other country to carry on building steam loco's was China up until a few years ago with the mighty QJ class 2-10-2 locos.

steam

Same place different angle

Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end

Best bit, that was 75mph, she's now at YORK to be painted LNER green, and once back on the main line in a few week's, she's got a ticket for 95mph :) :) :)

Steve that is an sound one never forgets,Love it,I wish the USA would do something like that.
JIM:eek:

very cool indeed. Its a shame that it cost so much to get one built up properly. I can only imagine the work involved to build one of these. And to think 50 years ago they could build one in about month!

The Iowa interstate RR has an old China 2-10-2 that they ran a wile ago. Kinda wierd to see a fourn engine on a US railway.

Josh, if you have any cows in your patrol area and it's a slow night, you can "moo" though the PA and all the cows will come over to see your patrol car. Then hit the air horn and they all run away. Wait a few minutes and start mooing again and they'll all come back.

I have no idea why I thought of this but it did keep me amused on a few nights where it was either pass out in the front seat or keep myself amused. :D

Josh, if you have any cows in your patrol area and it's a slow night, you can "moo" though the PA and all the cows will come over to see your patrol car. Then hit the air horn and they all run away. Wait a few minutes and start mooing again and they'll all come back.

I have no idea why I thought of this but it did keep me amused on a few nights where it was either pass out in the front seat or keep myself amused. :D
Nice one! No cows on base, lots of wildlife though. Deer, Coyotes, Rabbits, Cats, Raccoons, Possum...

I've gotten into sitting at the 4 way stop just inside base and talking to stop sign runners on the PA... "You didn't stop..." ;) They drive slow after that.

However, I found a GREAT hiding spot for that certain intersection, so now I can actually catch the people who think they don't need to stop because they can't see us waiting there for them... :D

However, I found a GREAT hiding spot for that certain intersection, so now I can actually catch the people who think they don't need to stop because they can't see us waiting there for them... :D

Josh, now you're starting to think like a cop. After a while, it starts to get personal with those people who don't stop, especially the frequent flyers. Keep up the good work! :)

Back