55 Gallon Drums

I had ordered a 'grab bag' from Tichy and one of the items included was a styrene 55-gal barrel in O scale. I was looking at it the other day .. and it occured to me that I might be able to use it to make some more from aluminum foil.

1) I took some 'Heavy Duty' (whatever that is supposed to mean) aluminum foil. I laid it on a glass surface and used a green scrubby and Windex to remove the oils (edible) that is on the foil. This not only cleans the foil but helps flatten it.
b1s-vi.jpg

2) The Tichy barrel measures 3/4" tall so I cut a strip that wide.
b2s-vi.jpg

3) Here's the Tichy barrel. It's actually pretty in scale .. just not beat up enough.
b3s-vi.jpg

4) Wrap the foil strip around the barrel and cut to a length so it wraps completely around.
b4s-vi.jpg

5) Here we go ..
b5s-vi.jpg

6) Use your thumb and press the foil against the styrene barrel so you get the ribs show through
b6s-vi.jpg

7) Now, you have a barrel wrapper ...
b7s-vi.jpg

8) I have these two pieces of 1/2" keystock that I picked up at Ace Hardware. Excellent for a small weight to hold things. The barrel is so light and delicate that a puff of air will send it flying. I set it against one of the keys and slowly and gently slide the other up against the sleeve .. a little adjustment aligns the edges of the foil/ribs. Here, I'm applying a thin super glue (M5T) to the joint. The tool you see is my super glue applicator .. simply a large needle with the eye cut in half. Works great for precision application of the glue.
b8s-vi.jpg

9) Use the Tichy barrle to mark the foil. This will be the bottom of your barrel. I used some small nail scissors to cut it out.
b9s-vi.jpg

10) Super glue the bottom to the shell. I started with the barrel laying on it's side between the keys and glued at only one point. Let that set up .. rotated the barrel and prodded the bottom until it aligned with the sides. Kept doing that. Not perfect but then I wasn't intending to display the bottom of this anyway so .. good nuff.
b10s-vi.jpg

11) The Tichy barrel is on the left. Center is the first barrel. It's just a tad large .. but .. hey .. was my first try and looks fine if not sitting next to the Tichy. I sprayed it with some gray primer and then dunked it in my grungy solution (black and brown india ink, black shoe dye, tie brown acrylic and lots of alcohol). The one on the right is the one I made for this tutorial. It's been dipped in aluminum blackening and then brushed with a brown paint and finally dipped in the grungy solution.
b11s-vi.jpg

Located my Dr O'brien's weathering powders so I .. couldn't stop myself .. had to rust that one barrel

b12-vi.jpg

Ed, those are mighty fine looking barrels! I wonder how hard it would be to duplicate that in HO scale... maybe too small?

Oh, BTW -- did your engineer see a ghost? He looks as white as a sheet!! :D

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I think you could do it in HO. Wrapping a barrel would be much the same and you would have to be very careful in handling it but .. even in O the darn things distort with a puff of air so I don't see it being that big a problem. It's mostly just being very careful. Those two pieces of keystock I used were VERY helpful to align the edges.

One thing is that I discovered dipping the finished barrel in aluminum blackener .. was that "duh" the stuff won't blacken the bit where superglue was. Thinking I will try doing that on the strip of foil and after it dries hit with some matt spray and THEN glue the edges.

another thing .. the bottom - You know how people use Micro-Glaze to create 'windows' .. I betcha you could 'glaze' the end of the barrel to make a bottom or top.

I like it! I'm thinking that a slightly heavier foil might be easier to work with. Some art supply stores carry different foils that could work. I have a sheet of copper that's a little too heavy but I'm sure there are others.

Using regular aluminum foil will form around the master (the styrene or white metal casting) easily with just thumb pressure. I tried some heavier foil - aluminum cake pan and I couldn't get it to form.

I wonder .. if you took three strips of styrene and glued them down so there was a gap between them them wider then the barrel ribs (width of rib + 2x thickness of your foil) you would have a female mold. Make a male mold using some styrene and wire .. you could press foil between the two and mass produce barrel 'sheets'. If your male tool (mahahaha) was rounded .. moving it up and down the female mold would even curve the sheets making it easy to form them into barrels.

If I was going to mass-produce barrels in scale .. that's what I would try.

Back