48"x32" roundy round

leva

20181211_100341.jpg

14" R curve minimum on the main loop. Atlas code 83 18"R Snap switches. Flex track is Peco code 83. Power is an Athearn SW1500 and all rolling stock is able to get around 13.25" R curves. Some cars can handle a 12" R curve, as can the engine while coupled. Just something fun I can move around and work on throughout the house. Next major step is cutting down the four switches and soldering them together and soldering some printed circuit board to the crossing area and constructing the crossing.

That first picture is just Atlas 15"R sectional pieces. I originally just wanted a loop to run the SW1500 and Trinity 2 bay covered hoppers on.

This will not do. I thought I could get away with using PCB tie strips to construct the crossing.

I went ahead and ordered some copper clad sheets. I will remove all the ties where the crossing will go and use the copper clad board instead to solder the rails to. The crossing area will be covered with a cracked asphalt surface, so I dont need to show ties.

20181211_204148.jpg

Next major step is cutting down the four switches and soldering them together and soldering some printed circuit board to the crossing area and constructing the crossing.
A scratch built crossing is something I have not yet attempted. They always looked interesting to do, but I've just not had the need yet.

Tomorrow I'll update with more pictures. I've got some structure kits to play around with, and a crossing to finish up.

The SW1500 is an Athearn RTR model. I would like to eventually repaint it to look like a local engine that used to run by our town. The Mission Mountain Railroad. It connects to the BNSF in Columbia Falls, Montana. I have the decals, but I need a lot more practice with the airbrush.

Not much to update on my roundy round layout. I don't get home often, and when I do more important matters come up.
20190126_214743.jpg

Here's a picture of my 96"× 13" layout.
20190126_214758.jpg

You have to do what you have to do, and that sometimes gets in the way of a hobby! (My paternal grandfather, years ago, used to say facetiously, "If work interferes with pleasure, give up work!" o_O I don't recall that he ever had a hobby, however. And he passed away just shy of his 90th birthday, after a full day at the office and a flight to a tax seminar!) I'm semi-retired and it took me three years to build my current layout, which is a folded dogbone inside a 14' x 14' purpose-built room. ;)

Back