3rd try's a charm

NYC_George

So my 3rd try at a patch worked out great. First I like to thank Greg for sending me the Blair Line decals. What a great guy and what great decals. Already laser cut out with non fading colors. They are the best. This time I used the Microscale strips for the patches. I cut them to size so they fit between the car's support ribs and positioned them in place. Then I added the Miroscale letters & numbers. So lets go over the whole process again.

1. Air brush the model with 70% enamel thinner / 30% enamel white paint.
2. After it dries some what add your weathering detailing with chalks. You don't need the air brush for this.
3 After cutting your patches to size add them and the lettering.
4. Spray the whole model with Dullcoat.

patch_3rd_try.jpg

Thanks Wheeler and James. It did turn out well and fairly easy to do. The Blair Line decals seem much easier to use then the Microscale ones. Their laser cut. You only have to cut a couple of small tabs to release the decal. Their printed on white decal paper making them opaque. Their also better at releasing from the backing paper. I'm glad Greg sent me some to try out. I wish they made the colored strips. Someone on another modeling site had told me decals printing on white paper are superior the ones printed on clear sheets. He's right. The problem is cutting the decal close enough from the baking paper not to show the white part of the paper. Blair Line has eliminated this with their laser cut. I hope this helps everyone create some cars they always wanted to get done. It's not that hard to do.

Now I'm thinking about printing the patches and lettering on Testors white decal paper. This way I could size the patch with the lettering for an exact fit between the car's support ribs before hand. You could make the patch any color that fits the scheme. Once I figure this out it will eliminate one more step of buying and adding the lettering to the patch. I'll have to see how this works out?

I mean doing like something in the photo below and sizing it down then printing it on Testors white decal paper. I'll have to figure out the scaling.
test_patch.jpg

George

Last edited:

Back