3D Models for laying out your layout

the resolution is just not there, If I ever get the resin print I want, things will be different. made this Silo model. need to refine
the roof to be more realistic

Attachments

• silo.jpg
    silo.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 60
  • silo-02.jpg
    silo-02.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 66
I got solidworks so I can 1 layout my train, 2 so I can make printable 3d models at any scale. 1/35 HO, N,
Trying to find an affordable 3d scanner so I can custom pose figures for the 1/35 diorama crowd. I will be printing in resin.

I tried
You may not need a scanner at all:

Free software photogrammetry tutorial there ^, All open source tools

Also:
--------------
Photogrammetry aside, you do mention custom posing figures. Claymation figures? Toy soldiers, etc?

You CAN use cell phones to scan yourself:

...so if you wanted a custom engineer, for example, you could put on the overalls and the cap, and sit on a barstool. Hold a beer in your left hand, and pretend it's an airbrake handle, etc. Scan, edit out the beer, insert the brake handle...shrink as necessary...print.

I'm starting to put out corn for the deer now. I usually start in August, but the corn is about 2x the cost of last year, so I'm cutting back.

Mostly, I like to watch the deer, but I will take one if the situation allows. As a land owner in Ohio, I can hunt my own land without a hunting license or a deer tag/permit. I still need to "tag" a deer, but as a landowner, I can hunt my own land without having to pay any fees or buy any licenses. I DO have to tag the deer (can be homemade tag), and report it to the Ohio DNR Division of Wildlife. Bag limits still apply

This is the beauty of 3d models for layouts, The exact. dimensions are at your finger tips.

Attachments

• helix-dims.png
    helix-dims.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 56
Are you still in the planning phase, or have you started to build yet? One of the advantages of CAD is also one of its biggest problems... It's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis.

doing everything on a budget, which means scavenger hunt lol Craig's list. Etsy. The frame work is from pallets, had to buy luan top and Insulation board. track ect. only using the ez-track where it can be hidden. Don't be afraid to try your luck, asking local busineses for used wood.

Example I'm gonna need 48 legs. 12 modules. plus bracing.

I live in a small town. Its amazing what people and construction people dump in trash containers. You could build a neat layout from all the lumber and board from only 1 tour around (that is in 1 day).
I just started a tutorial for the FreeCad program. Anybody has experience with this? I don't want a printer but designing parts like ends and small parts must be fun. I would like to buy them from a company in the USA or Canada, but shipping to Europe is expensive with the risk of customs opening the package and me paying an unrealistic amount of tax. You could order $50.00, pay 20$ postage and tax. No fun anymore.
I do not have any experience with any track planning program.

mara: Ya, love the small town dumps - used to come back with more than we took! Now days we can not 'salvage' anymore. Never did figure out why.

I have been scratching the surface of FreeCad. So far I like it although it has a somewhat steep learning curve. Could be just me though.

Lots of track planning software out there. I use XtrackCad ( free ) and have for quite a few years. Has a learning curve although if you follow a few of the examples, pretty easy after that. Tried 3rd PlanIt and Cadrail of which I had problems with both of them - probably because of the way stuff is setup in the menu's and what you needed to do just to create elements in the drawing. That was before I found Xtrack. Others probably will chime in on the software they use, even the pencil and paper ones AND the ones that head plan.

Later

youtube can be a big help with the learning curve just search, for your cad system, I'm sure you'll find a video or 12 lolol

attached is a printable 1=1 short trestle template at ho scale it's about 11' tall. will get out the tall trestle if their is an interest.

Attachments

• ww.pdf
    658.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Any N scalers out there. I have 2 buildings I'd like to get rid of. Cheap. make me an offer.

Attachments

• canvas.png
    canvas.png
    388 KB · Views: 52
  • canvas1.png
    canvas1.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 53
  • canvas2.png
    canvas2.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 48
  • canvas3.png
    canvas3.png
    402 KB · Views: 59
  • canvas4.png
    canvas4.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 53
  • canvas5.png
    canvas5.png
    371.5 KB · Views: 52
I live in a small town. Its amazing what people and construction people dump in trash containers. You could build a neat layout from all the lumber and board from only 1 tour around (that is in 1 day).
I just started a tutorial for the FreeCad program. Anybody has experience with this? I don't want a printer but designing parts like ends and small parts must be fun. I would like to buy them from a company in the USA or Canada, but shipping to Europe is expensive with the risk of customs opening the package and me paying an unrealistic amount of tax. You could order $50.00, pay 20$ postage and tax. No fun anymore.
I do not have any experience with any track planning program.
AnyRail is a track planning program that is free, and their are others you can use.

There is a company in the US. I use for various parts, AMain Hobbies. You should look them up.

Progress so far, not going for pretty. Function not fashion. helix hidden behind the mountain, with 2 sided access plus a center hole.

laying track. test test test. before you add next lvl. you don't want to be pulling platforms down to align tracks. i test with my best a worst rolling stock. One trick I came up with is using cabinet drawer liner for track bed. the holes in the liner lets dust and dirt fall away from the track. less frequent vacuuming.

Attachments

• 20221014_171211.jpg
    20221014_171211.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221110_181827.jpg
    20221110_181827.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221110_181822.jpg
    20221110_181822.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221110_181756.jpg
    20221110_181756.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 44
mara: Ya, love the small town dumps - used to come back with more than we took! Now days we can not 'salvage' anymore. Never did figure out why.

I have been scratching the surface of FreeCad. So far I like it although it has a somewhat steep learning curve. Could be just me though.

Lots of track planning software out there. I use XtrackCad ( free ) and have for quite a few years. Has a learning curve although if you follow a few of the examples, pretty easy after that. Tried 3rd PlanIt and Cadrail of which I had problems with both of them - probably because of the way stuff is setup in the menu's and what you needed to do just to create elements in the drawing. That was before I found Xtrack. Others probably will chime in on the software they use, even the pencil and paper ones AND the ones that head plan.

Later
Todd, I just watched part 1 of a beginners course (youtube) 20 times and finally I can draw something, watch the project from all sides and save the project. When you know anything about dimensions, I think you can do it. Don't even think there is 1 person out there that can open a new blanc page, draw a project in 2 minutes and print a super project. But to build anything or enjoy our hobby you don't need to use this.

Back