3D Models for laying out your layout

DocHollomon

Design before you cut. Is there anyone else out there using 3d to start their layout. I've posted some pic's of mine. you can, make adjustments without
burning thru cash and materials. I'll be happy to share all the HO Scale models I have so far.

Attachments

• TOP-VIEW.jpg
    TOP-VIEW.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 71
There may be a small percentage of people who do use 3D to design a MRR..But it's not necessary since the only dictating measurement needed is the radius of any 180 deg. return loop there might be in middle or ends of benchwork. IE. if, IF this curve is 22"r, diameter is thus 44". Bench then needs to be no less than 48" wide insuring track to be a safe 2" in from edge on either side..The length of bench is dictated by allotted room size..And keeping grades below 3% (and closer to 2%) will dictate how long each grade's 'ramp' is going to need to be to accomplish such..
What 3D does (virtual, or miniature model of model) is show certain 'esthetics' of the design, but is not necessarily, if any more helpful than a pencil and paper in designing a train layout; its confines, measurements, tolerances, and total materials needed, for the project to materialize as planned..

Last edited:
The above pic lists no critical dimensions nor shows any structural support, whatsoever..It only shows a spiral seemingly floating in mid air.
No one can give structural/dimensional advice without having hard facts as to radii and clearances you plan on, nor materials you're considering by simply looking at this pic.

Last edited:
The above pic lists no critical dimensions nor shows any structural support, whatsoever..It only shows a spiral seemingly floating in mid air.
No one can give structural/dimensional advice without having hard facts as to radii and clearances you plan on, nor materials you're considering by simply looking at this pic.
Well, you can say the same for 2D pencil on paper can't ya? Go ahead try and show an elevated track segment that is directly above another without using another sheet of paper. Semantics here and each to their own. If a 3D perspective helps ANY modeler with their design, more power to them. Maybe I'ma slow as recently I needed to show 4 different elevations to myself cuz I could not get my brain around it. 3D did the trick in this case. Pretty much pitched it as now I can invision what I wanted, although now I know how to make me understand stuff better. If I could only do that with ASM code:cool:

I don't think he was seeking your advice. I think whatever software he's using knows precisely what every dimension is, probably down to a thousandth of an inch. If you look at some of the images he has uploaded, you will see very precise measurements.

I think 3d renderings of our track plans are highly useful.

Last edited:
I can pull a Dim. off the model didn't want to bore you folks with the details. the model lets get the supports exact. haven't placed them yet
laying out buildings and road at this point. better to move it around in CAD than ripping up track later

Attachments

• MOUTAIN-frame-work.png
    MOUTAIN-frame-work.png
    594 KB · Views: 58
I like that you have 2 different exit points from the helices. At one point, I was planning a layout that had a double-track climbing a mountain as it went around. Half way up, it split into 2 single tracks with the outer loop exiting over a bridge half way up. The inner loop went up another level to a second bridge.

I've always admired people who plan the way you are planning.

Yes, adding in the terrace really helps visualize the plan... sort of like a bowl shaped valley with tracks coming down the edge of the bowl.

It reminds me of a plan I had put together just to see how long of a single track I could make.

1662657843936.jpeg

If I remember correctly, this was over 4 miles of track at scale.

big thing before you go crazy with the design. is grade. how much grade will your LOCO handle. my DC loco did a 8% with no prob.
Loco and 2 Coaches Bachman Hogwarts, gonna do a Castle on top of moutain. the town will be 1960's fantasy I left plenty of room
to do small town America. with the typ.. elements town, industy, farm ect. wanna do a water fall and river if i have the space.

what software are you running, I'm using Solidworks and Autocad

I was using AnyRail. It has a 3d viewer which is what you see there. It's pretty accurate, except for the geometry on inclines isn't always perfect. Kind of like they added the height axis as an afterthought.

I have no experience with CAD programs, but AnyRail was pretty intuitive.

I've been in engineering for 35 years so I've always had access to the best toys. I'm doing modular so I can move the layout. which brings it's on set of problems the dreaded seems, the canyon will have a seem thur the center mountain had to fit on one module. with some well place trees I think
i'll be able to hide most os them 11 modules total, each has to have it's on power. trying to keep the operations of track simple. let the scenery be the focal point I'm big on the realistic look. lighting ect..

There is a mention in article in the latest (Sept 2022) issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, page 91--"Introducing Harry's Espee Layout," which points out the use of 3D modeling software. In that case it's a package called "3rd Planit." Associate editor Harry Wong apparently uses that software for his own modeling, and the one photograph (of a 3D render, I think) does show individual RR cars. Sitting in a yard, yes. Whether they can move or not is a question I can't answer, as I only heard of it reading that editorial, just as you probably will.

I got solidworks so I can 1 layout my train, 2 so I can make printable 3d models at any scale. 1/35 HO, N,
Trying to find an affordable 3d scanner so I can custom pose figures for the 1/35 diorama crowd. I will be printing in resin.

I tried

Has anyone else bought structures from outland, on amazon. all I can say is good effort but the end product leaves me guessing.
how do you get that pro finish with plastic printers

I have ordered from Outland. I was underwhelmed to say the least. OK for the price, but you get what you pay for I guess. The folks at Gold Rush Bay seem to print higher quality and more detailed models, and their prices are still reasonable, in my opinion. Some people have had issues with their scales seeming too small, but the Mansion I bought from them is really quite amazing for the cost.

Back