3-Rail O-Gauge Switching Layout

Mixed Freight

Hello All,

I'd like to start off by introducing my 3-rail O-gauge switching layout that I started building right about a year ago. It's kinda' hard to say just exactly WHICH forum to post this in, because there are several good candidates that it could be posted in, but ultimately I decided on the Tinplate and Hi-Rail forum, since it is probably the summation that this layout represents. Maybe, maybe? 🤔 :confused: Heck, I dunno.

At any rate, the inspiration to build this came about after taking delivery of a brand spanking new Lionel Legacy SW8 3-rail switch engine a few months before that. I have a 6' x 16' O-gauge layout table with a big inner and outer oval set up on it, and after running my new loco on it for a short while, I decided that this new loco was waayyyy too cool to be merely running around in circles on a plywood table. The sound system on that loco is out of this world, amongst other of its features. Therefore, the decision was made to construct a much more palatable layout in order to do this loco some justice.

Without further adieu, here's a few pic's of my layout set up at a local train show in early March............................
2189.JPG

2190.JPG

2191.JPG

2192.JPG

It's actually modular construction, consisting of two 2'-wide x 8'-long sections that clamp together for a total of 16' in length. The track and turnouts are all GarGraves, plus there's one Ross Custom Switches crossing. It's kind of designed a little like a switching puzzle, but hopefully not too mind-bending. Obviously, instead of a toy train layout running around the Christmas tree, this one is fairly more adult-oriented. Also seen are my scratch-built structures of Honeggers Feed & Grain, Worn County Standard Public Warehouse, and the Team Track Loading/Unloading Ramp which have been featured in previous posts in the "Buildings and Structures" forum.

The layout is designed to be somewhat of a switching puzzle, although not too (hopefully) mind-bending. Just a layout to have some fun while running that great-sounding switcher on. It features one run-around (and one crossing for the fun of it). The shortest track of the run-around holds two cars plus the loco. One of my next steps will be to come up with a car-card system to introduce the multiple switching scenarios which this layout should be highly capable of.
2195.JPG

2194.JPG

Not to forget some general construction notes, the modules are made of 8' long 1 x 4 pine side members, 1 x 4 oak plywood ends (for durability), 1 x 2 pine cross members at 16" on center, and 2" thick pink foam inserted into the frame. The track is nailed through the foam to the 1 x 2 cross members, and also secured to the end members. I got extremely lucky when starting to build this layout, as I found some folding tables with extendable legs at our local Sam's Club. The tables were the perfect size for this layout.

2204.JPG

2206.JPG

What started out as the front splice plate also ended up as the transformer shelf along with smoke fluid storage and Universal Remote holder. The transformer is just an inexpensive little Lionel CW-40, as the locomotive is the only thing it has to power.

A switching puzzle is a lot more fun when you actually have some industries and scenery on the layout, as opposed to just a bare board with some track nailed down to it. Which is what most switching puzzles seem to be at train shows I've attended in the past.

2209.JPG

Who could resist switching these cars out, when there's an actual industry there?!?!?

2207.JPG

A road crossing adds some interest. Plus helps disguise the seam between the two modules. :p ;)

2208.JPG

The Standard Public Warehouse is good for two cars. Mainly boxcars, but who's to say that a refrigerator car or poultry car or even a flat car couldn't be spotted there for some reason or other?

2203.JPG

One scenario has this layout being a dead-end branch line. And After arriving in town with the local, the caboose will need to be re-arranged during the switching moves to the other end in order for the train to return to its point of origin. And on the team track, a variety of car types could be spotted there. We'll have to see what the future brings.

These pictures were taken before the show started. During the show, I let any interested N-scalers, HO-scalers, and O-gaugers run the layout for a little bit, and not a single one of them didn't have fun doing it. As a matter of fact, more than a few of the N-scalers and HO-scalers started thinking that maybe O-gauge might just be a decent alternative as they are getting older and finding that their trains are getting a little harder to see.

That's all for now. Hope you enjoy this, it's been fun building, showing, and running. And it's not done yet by any means. In addition to trying to finish up Honegger's Feed & Grain, I was humping to get something (anything) for a backdrop on the skyboard. Hence the brown "grocery sack" paper and the green "grass mat" tree line. And four dead trees just to take up space and add some interest. If that clues you in to what further work I will try and accomplish between now and the next show I take it to.

A switching puzzle is a lot more fun when you actually have some industries and scenery on the layout, as opposed to just a bare board with some track nailed down to it. Which is what most switching puzzles seem to be at train shows I've attended in the past.

View attachment 164531
Who could resist switching these cars out, when there's an actual industry there?!?!?

View attachment 164532
A road crossing adds some interest. Plus helps disguise the seam between the two modules. :p ;)

View attachment 164534
The Standard Public Warehouse is good for two cars. Mainly boxcars, but who's to say that a refrigerator car or poultry car or even a flat car couldn't be spotted there for some reason or other?

View attachment 164533
One scenario has this layout being a dead-end branch line. And After arriving in town with the local, the caboose will need to be re-arranged during the switching moves to the other end in order for the train to return to its point of origin. And on the team track, a variety of car types could be spotted there. We'll have to see what the future brings.

These pictures were taken before the show started. During the show, I let any interested N-scalers, HO-scalers, and O-gaugers run the layout for a little bit, and not a single one of them didn't have fun doing it. As a matter of fact, more than a few of the N-scalers and HO-scalers started thinking that maybe O-gauge might just be a decent alternative as they are getting older and finding that their trains are getting a little harder to see.

That's all for now. Hope you enjoy this, it's been fun building, showing, and running. And it's not done yet by any means. In addition to trying to finish up Honegger's Feed & Grain, I was humping to get something (anything) for a backdrop on the skyboard. Hence the brown "grocery sack" paper and the green "grass mat" tree line. And four dead trees just to take up space and add some interest. If that clues you in to what further work I will try and accomplish between now and the next show I take it to.
Thank's, really enjoyed this and very informative, more please.

That is way cool. Unknowingly you have re-created John Allen's Timesaver switching puzzle (plus a couple spurs, one with a crossing, and that is a really nice touch). It looks really nice in O-Gauge.
Thanks I.H. I kinda' knew it was a little like John Allen's Timesaver, but with a little more breathing room for the trains. Ideally I would have like to make it a little larger, say maybe 30" wide x 24' long (3 = 8' modules). But with my basement already being a model train wasteland, I had pretty much run out of room for this.
Somehow I missed this original post until this morning. Well done. I like your scenery detailing.
Thanks Willie. Pretty simple "flatbed" scenery for the most part, as John Armstrong/Thaddeus Stepek alluded to in early Atlas Track Plan booklets. Forgot to mention that the track ballast is nothing more than cheap clay kitty litter (un-used, of course! :p). One regret though, I should have screened it for the smaller particles, as the larger pieces look a little too coarse. However, one HO-scale friend told me it looked identical to the ballast used by a small short line in California. So, I guess overall it still ain't too bad.

One regret though, I should have screened it for the smaller particles, as the larger pieces look a little too coarse. However, one HO-scale friend told me it looked identical to the ballast used by a small short line in California. So, I guess overall it still ain't too bad.

Ballast comes in various sizes. A mix of colors too.

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

In a collection of various items I bought was 00/HO and N Gauge ballast. Mixed together with a little real coal dust chippings I have --

IMG_1946.JPG

David

Awesome layout. How did you make the backdrop ? Thanks.
Fast & cheap. And it shows. :p

Actually.......... the back boards themselves are made of 1/4" Lauan, with 1 x 2 framing on the backside for stiffeners, laid flat. Total thickness, right about an inch. Then, sky blue latex paint on the viewer side for sky color, and some medium-gray paint on the backside for protection and looks.

Next, I took a roll of tannish-brown craft paper, cut an 8' length off of it, then sliced down the middle with a pair of scissors while gently curving left and right. This yielded 2 pieces 8' long, each with one edge gently curving up and down in order to represent the distant horizon. I applied them to the sky boards with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

And then, I cut some strips of an old roll of Life-Like grass mat I've had around forever, and then instead of slicing them down the middle with scissors, I hand-tore them down the middle, to give the rougher and more pointed, tree-like shape of a distant tree line. Once again, these were attach over the craft paper with the 3M spray adhesive.

Lastly, the little road extension was cut to shape from some black construction paper, some white craft paint for the road lines, and attached over the tree line with some white glue.

The craft paper/grass mat/road portion was a last minute hurry-up job, completed the day before I had to load up for the show. I think it helped the looks a heck of a lot, as opposed to merely having the layout butting up to a plain blue sky board. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Back