2'x8' Shelf Module

LW93Rcode

Hey Guys, need your opinions on this little 2x8 module layout I'm attempting to build. I have no real experience with operations on a layout (just roundy round), but it is what I am after. My wife and I are planning to list our house in the next year or so, so I included the small yard to store some cars when it came time to box things up. I'm just wondering if its just cramming to much track in the space I have. I have the space on the opposite wall available to me but the blank area to the right would have to be removable as it would block too much when not in use. The idea in my head would be a bridge/stream scenery in the space to the right and a couple more industries on the opposite wall in the future if I still have space available. I didn't want to get too far ahead in planning since I'm not sure what space I could have. I'm thinking I should be able to fit a 2x8 wherever we end up so that's why I wanted to start with that. My main concern is would this be a good start or does it not look to operationally friendly?

HO 2x8 Module3.jpg

-Laurence

Right off the bat I think you'll need a runaround track to get cars from the yard to the industries.
Easily done by placing a switch from the main to the first yard track.
Looks like a good layout with lots of ops and chances for expansion later!

Hi Laurence,
I can't seem to get your drawing to load but only a little bit so I can't really see what you have planned but I'd trust what Rico says as he is an actual RR Engineer and knows what works and doesn't from his job. A run-around-track is important when attempting to shift cars around, and especially to have them in a certain order for delivery!

Glad your here joining us!

Shortliner, thanks for directing me to that site. I did countless searches for ho shelf layouts and thats one site that I never got directed to.

Rico and Trussrod, here is the run around added. Is the length sufficient? Another question on that, would railroads typically have it facing that direction, or could it be done using right hand turnouts as well? The reason I ask is the turnouts in the shaded area are ones I have left available. I have one Walthers #4 , an Atlas #4 and a Peco #6 lefthand:rolleyes:. I put the run around in the plan using Walthers #4 Lefthand turnouts. I would have to buy one more lefthand turnout, but I have 3 Peco #6 Righthands laying on the shelf.
HO 2x8 Module3.jpg

-Laurence

Last edited by a moderator:
Most engine facilities are on the same track. The fuel, sand, oil, etc are in front of the engine house.

Laurence I'd go with the #6 right hands.
That would leave that first track useable for storage and eliminate one reverse movement.
I like how the track isn't even with the layouts edge by the way, looks much more realistic!

Thanx for the endorsement David, (I'm not with the RR anymore tho) :)

This is one that I have always liked. I think it is 2 x 6?

I like what you have designed, but feel it needs more industries?

image.jpg

Shortliner, thanks for directing me to that site. I did countless searches for ho shelf layouts and thats one site that I never got directed to.
-Laurence

Laurence;
I'm glad you finally got there. I'm Andrew the owner of Andrew's Trains and the Hunter Valley Lines.

I think that you'll find more enjoyment will come from the layout by getting rid of a lot of the non-essential things - like the engine shed and the fuelling location. First off, they add nothing operationally, and they take up real estate that could be used better for switching.

You can get away without a run-around, however, you need somewhere for all of the traffic to come from (a yard for example). The loco can then push into industries, which presents no problem so long as you have all facing point spurs, as the loco does not need to change direction. To allow the loco to change direction you have to have the spur. And while this limits the space you can have for other things it increases the play value for operations.

My advice is to simplify everything.

Focus on what you want to do. If switching then assume that the loco has already arrived. Is on the mainline and ready to begin switching. You know that there is a rest of the world so you don't need to show it. Industries should be for car types that you really enjoy watching. Love Boxcars? Then focus your industries to receive or ship using boxcars. Love short corn syrup tanks, then model a marshmallow facility (there is one that only takes two of these short cars, or a single long one in the US - upcoming on the blog by the way).

Your aim should be to have an easy to set up and run operating session 2-4 times per week of around 30 minutes.With a 5 minute set up, 20-30 minutes of work, and a 5 minute tear down. You'll find that you'll do more switching and enjoy it much more and want to play operations.

Here some posts that may be of help:
An industry you can model Kensington Grain
Brett - a small switching layout by Martin Hogg

Let me know if you have any questions. Always happy to help.

Sorry it took a bit to get back to this, busy weekend! Here is a revision with the Peco #6s and I moved the fueling facility in front of the shop like Andy suggested.

HO 2x8 Module4.jpg
Andrew, if I were to eliminate the loco shed and fueling facility, would you eliminate it totally or replace it with an industry in that spot? Also, I'm trying to keep in mind while this is a small switching layout to start, I do 100% plan on expanding this into a larger layout so I'd want some sort of loco facilities at some point I think. This would be the most crowded module in the grand scheme of things. Again, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, I appreciate it.

-Laurence

Sorry it took a bit to get back to this, busy weekend! Here is a revision with the Peco #6s and I moved the fueling facility in front of the shop like Andy suggested.

View attachment 51132
Andrew, if I were to eliminate the loco shed and fueling facility, would you eliminate it totally or replace it with an industry in that spot? Also, I'm trying to keep in mind while this is a small switching layout to start, I do 100% plan on expanding this into a larger layout so I'd want some sort of loco facilities at some point I think. This would be the most crowded module in the grand scheme of things.
-Laurence[/QUOTE]

First of all 99/99999% of RRs in this country wouldn't have the engine house & service facilities on a switchback. Second in most cases the engine servicing facilities would be outside & not in a building. Do some more research on US loco servicing as they are relatively simple. Third my folks called me Andrew only when they were mad at me. So please call me Andy. >)

If you haven't already "cast in concrete" your tracks w/ ballast & glue, put the runaround along side the yard ladder. This will give you 4-6 yard tracks. One can be used for the locos. Here's one from my LAJ Ry plan:

ATSF Malabar Yard on My Layout.bmp.jpg
Here's another version:

Attachments

• ATSF Malabar Yard on My Layout-2 .bmp.jpg
    ATSF Malabar Yard on My Layout-2 .bmp.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 206
Noted Andy! My apologies on how I showed the diesel facility on the plan. It is indeed an outside facility(Walthers Kit). I had drawn out the track in anyrail and put the shaded area after to kinda show the space it took up. I wasn't even thinking how it looks like a building! I also haven't quite figured out how to show the track over the shaded area just yet either. Nothing is "cast in concrete" yet! I'll work on moving the run around or possibly eliminating that all together. Thanks again for taking the time to make suggestions.

-Laurence

If you don't want to ALWAYS 0-5-0 the locos &/or the cars to switch the industries on the right keep the runaround! . Think seriously about having the runaround along the yard ladder to give the layout more yard tracks. If you're like most of us you will be getting more rolling stock. >)

Oops, the run around will stay. What I meant was eliminating the fueling and engine shop on the switch back. Bad proof reading job by me, doh!

Sorry it took a bit to get back to this, busy weekend! Here is a revision with the Peco #6s
Andrew, if I were to eliminate the loco shed and fueling facility, would you eliminate it totally or replace it with an industry in that spot? Also, I'm trying to keep in mind while this is a small switching layout to start, I do 100% plan on expanding this into a larger layout so I'd want some sort of loco facilities at some point I think. This would be the most crowded module in the grand scheme of things. Again, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, I appreciate it.

-Laurence

Laurence;
And I'm assuming now that you are talking to me, not another Andrew - in which case you may continue to call me Andrew!

Lose the loco shed and fuelling facility, means that you have more space for yards. Really what would you rather do. Park a loco for 30 scale minutes, or switch cars for 30 scale minutes? I prefer to have time in the yard switching with a loco. On my new layout (12' x 2' with a 8' x 1.5' right handed addition in the Garage) I have a loco servicing facility, but keep in mind that this is a reasonably large layout space, and I have the spare space on the layout to fit it in.

On an 8' x 2' I think that you have a better use in either a yard track or an industry. My thoughts.

Oops, the run around will stay. What I meant was eliminating the fueling and engine shop on the switch back. Bad proof reading job by me, doh!

My second yard plan has a runaround & a loco track. My plan is just configured opposite yours. Using the loco track IS doing more switching! You'll be switching the locos to/from cars. A runaround on your plan can easily made on the left by eliminating the switchback. Put that RH switch on the bottom yard track. Then put a LH switch on the other end of your loco track probably in the road(?) Xing. You could also use the runaround for temporary "parking" locos between Ops sessions.
For some more switching you could add a RIP track for BO (bad order not bad odor lol) cars.

Use cassettes for loading traffic onto your layout, that eliminates the need to to have big yards. You can make them with plastic corner bead (for sheet rock) and a wood base. Make several for interest. It appears you already have the Timesaver built into your layout. It looks like fun.

Use cassettes for loading traffic onto your layout, that eliminates the need to to have big yards. You can make them with plastic corner bead (for sheet rock) and a wood base. Make several for interest.

What you call "cassettes" are AKA "staging trays' like shown below. This is a very simple one to make & uses no track just plastic drywall corners. The trays could be just two wheel grooves cut into wood. They can be stored in drawers or on shelves under the layout or anywhere else you want them. These get back to my comment about us modelers ALWAYS buying more rolling stock! >)

Attachments

• Staging Tray.jpg
    Staging Tray.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 319-STAGING TRAY DRAWER.jpg
    319-STAGING TRAY DRAWER.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 185

Back