2'x15' yard ideas...

Cbar, if you try to transition from cork roadbed to the surface of the foam in such a short soace you're asking for trouble. Grades on a turnout don't work well at all. An easy solution to the situation would be to put cork sheeting down in the yard area.

Roy

OK guys, I reworked a couple things on my compound ladder to allow for a lil more room for yard space. Its not to noticeable in the pics, but I have gained about 8" of space at the end. The siding off the inner mainline is extended as far as I can go with it and it will allow me to spot 10 89' auto decks quite comfortably between switches with about 4-5" behind the fouling point...should this siding being where it is, have roadbed under it also??

Nice!
I'd keep the roadbed under the mains and sidings and keep the yard lower.
Geez, if you put an engine house off that last curve and to the lower left you'd have my yard!

I think the yard tracks could be spaced closer together. In HO scale, the center lines of each track can be 2.25 inches apart in a yard. Try shortening, or eliminating, the short tracks that are in between your turnouts. It might also increase the length of each yard track slightly in the process.

Benchwork pics for a member here...

Here it is...my basic contruction attempt... The bottom shelf is 12" wide and runs a total of 12' long. My origional plan was to use this as hidden staging, but its 10" below the top and I only have about 15' of room for a decline to there....n no room for a helix... :(

Got the roadbed down for my siding now....time to start solderin feeders and get this track crew to work!!
Just gotta figure out how I am gonna make the decline from the main to the yard...its a lil tight...need to drop 3/16" in about 14"...ideas??

Benchwork looks really solid, nice job. As far as the decline goes, we are going to run into the same problem. Something we thought about is sanding the foam to fit the grade. Now I have no idea if that stuff can be sanded down like that or not, but that was a thought. Another is getting thin sheets of cardboard, and stacking them with different lenghts to get the grade. Let us know what you do and if it works

I sure like your idea of the cardboard deal...I think I am gonna do a mock up of that and will see how it works out....good idea!!
The thought crossed my mind for a split second of foaming the whole yard, but I want to have the yard lower so then in case the crew spotting cars forgets to tie on handbrakes as per the timetable, we dont have as much of a chance of a runaway...

Got both mains and the siding done half way now...holes for the feeders and switch throws drilled, joints soldered, and glued down...just waitin for the glue to dry so I can take the blocks off n I will post a pic...

Oops. Just updating my previous post for the record. Upon further inspection, it looks like the turnouts are not separated by additional track. You can trim the ends of the turnouts to make the yard tracks closer together, if you wish to do that.

Oops. Just updating my previous post for the record. Upon further inspection, it looks like the turnouts are not separated by additional track. You can trim the ends of the turnouts to make the yard tracks closer together, if you wish to do that.

That's what I plan to do, as well. Gains some space for a few more yard tracks.

I was lookin at that too...I think I might be able to trim a lil off of the end of the turnouts. I would like to keep my yard tracks about 2.5" apart except for maybe the first 2, but we will see how it all goes from here....goin back upstairs to rework it some more...

OK...here are the pics of my newly permenantly laid track....first time in over 10 years I have had permenant track!!! I am doing it module by module for easier tear down if I move. I used white glue like a poster on a different thread suggested and it seems to be holding pretty good!
The last 2nd last pic are what I just did to rework my yard again, adding diesel shop tracks, and also a 6th yard track. Let me know if I should or could change anything guys... also the yard will look similar on the other end, but no shop tracks...maybe a MOW track tho?!?!
The last pic is the problem I am up against to get from 3/16" to 0" in about 12". I am not going to lay foam under the whole yard because I want it lower for appearance and also to make sure nothing creeps out onto the main when I am not lookin...

Also, just in case you all are wondering why the one end stops at the wall....I am waiting for Landlords approval to blast a tunnel there, and if he says no, then hopefully I can buy this place in early summer n then blast away!!
Another thing to be clear on is the 2 tracks on the right in the first 2 pics n the left in the 3rd pic are BOTH main lines. The 3rd one is a siding, and the rest are yard tracks....just so there is no confusion here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend glue down a section of cork roadbed and then use a rasp/file and sand paper to make the grade down to the yard level. Worked very nice.
Steve

OK...well I am using the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed and I dont think its gonna be to easy to file or sand it down...

DOH! What am I thinkin....I could go and get a strip of cork and do that....I will give it a shot and see how it works out...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put a turnout to make a parrallel track for caboose/mow storage off that outer track in the third pic it would be so close to my yard it's uncanny.

OK guys, I got my decline built and testing it out with 89' auto decks it works great!! The couplers hardly move and it creates a nice smooth transition. I cut up a pizza box (the thin cardboard frozen pizza kinda box) and applied 6 strips in a ladder so to speak. Glued it one strip at a time with white glue and I think I gotter made!! Let me know what ya think of my crude build from HO Trainfan's idea!

I would have turned it over to make the surface the track meets smooth; otherwise it looks like a good idea. Hope the pizza was good :D

Well I actually made a different one afterwards. I got to lookin at this and realized that my 3/16 drop was only in 6", so I made one out of a Frosted Flakes box where the drop is over about 9" now. Pizza was good for $2...one a those Costco deals where ya get 3 for $6 with the coupon they give ya at the door!!

Back