2 trains on mainline at same time...........

baboiler

I am pretty much a newbie to this. I have had a Prodigy Express for a couple years but have only used it at Christmas on a small oval. What I am planning is nothing fancy (and from reading this forum - not favored by most). My only avenue from a space and cost standpoint is a loop around the ceiling in my basement family room. It will be roughly 16' long by 12' wide.
Originally I planned on a 2 track loop however after building a 2' long prototype of the shelf I do not like it. The train close to wall will barely be visible. So I have decided on just a single line. I do however want to add a section wide enough to create a siding so at least I can change which train I am running.
When considering this today I wondered if I can run both trains at the same time on the loop using DCC? Is that possible? I did a google search and a quick search on here and didn't find a clear answer. My loop is big enough I figure at least at low speed (and under close monitoring) my loop is big enough I could keep them far enough from one another.
I know a lot of people on here don't like the ceiling train idea but it's really my only option to utilize my controller and trains other than the holidays.
Any input appreciated.

I wondered if I can run both trains at the same time on the loop using DCC? Is that possible?
Yes, that is the major purpose of DCC. Independent control of multiple trains on the same track simultaneously. I personally recommend one throttle per train though instead of trying to switch a single throttle back and forth between two or more trains.

..yup.. if you were only able to list one advantage to DCC, that's it.

Also, I'll assume you were thinking you might need to insulate the siding... you do not.. any loco sitting on it will not respond to anything other than commands addressed specifically to it..

Edit: A simple way to picture it.... all track is powered all the time... but each locomotive's motor only sees a voltage (speed), and polarity (direction), that has been "addressed" to it, via the decoder.. ie .. not only can you run several locomotives on the same track; they can also be at different speeds, and directions..

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. The turnouts point is welcome news. I have spent just a few minutes really looking at turnouts. Just long enough to find out there was much more to it than I expected. For simplicity of set up , wiring and operation do you have a suggestion of style and or make of turnout. I am planning on manual throw as I don't think my prodigy express has enough power to do it without purchasing a booster. Thanks for the advise/info

From the make side of things, I would go with Peco or Maklin turnouts. If money is no object (ha ha ha) then Flieschmann. It really depends on what make of track and code you are using though.

Cheers,

It will be roughly 16' long by 12' wide.
Originally I planned on a 2 track loop however after building a 2' long prototype of the shelf I do not like it. The train close to wall will barely be visible. So I have decided on just a single line. I do however want to add a section wide enough to create a siding so at least I can change which train I am running.
I know a lot of people on here don't like the ceiling train idea but it's really my only option to utilize my controller and trains other than the holidays.
Any input appreciated.

I totally understand your perdicament and followed a similar course of action, however, suspended my "benchwork" from the ceiling. This was a lot harder to do then the shelf, but made the 30" radius possible and also gave me room to add wires and backdrop behind the track.

Mine is 10' x 20' and it seems like even at that, when I am pulling 12 cars it seems like the layout is full. I went with the passing siding, too, and that was a good idea as I usually just park stuff there. I have all old DC stuff so could run two trains if I park one on the passing siding, which I designed the layout for. Since we will be moving again this spring, the thing is going to come down and in our next house I think there will be a suspended layout in the living room and a traditional layout in a bedroom.

lasm

For simplicity of set up , wiring and operation do you have a suggestion of style and or make of turnout.
Peco Insulfrog.

Since you are going manual anyway, the Peco points have a built in spring. You don't even need to add a manual actuator, just reach over and flip it with your fingers. It will snap into place.

Great - Thanks for the info! So can anyone give me the quick and easy wiring info I'll need to power the turnout and siding? I plan on running a bus around the layout.For my purposes as described above is it as simple as connecting feeders to the siding?

Yep just use feeders before and after the turnout, and the siding as well. Any time you have a turnout, whether its a siding, yard, etc. you always want power feeders on all sides of the turnout.

Hi Baboiler, not knowing the layout of your family room, would it be possible to lower the 'shelf' and put a quick lift out bridge where there is a doorway? If you have only one or two doors/windows, you may be able to lower the railroad to shoulder height with a couple lift out bridges.

Thanks again for the responses. That sounds simple enough for the wiring. I may be back with more questions about it once I get to actually wiring.

timlange3 - Most of the one end of the area is a projection screen so a lower shelf isn't an option for me. I've had this on my mind for more than a year and have spent many hours online looking at options. The ceiling shelf just seems to be the best option I have at the moment. Now in a few years when a daughter or 2 is gone and a bedroom becomes vacant -- different story : ) I'm really in no hurry for that to happen however !!

Back