1st Loco Weathering try on a good DCC Loco

Gdelmoro

Ok all you weathering experts, give some pointers to a rookie!
I haven't done the cab or tender or wheels yet. And i need to reduce the intensity of some of the steam effect.
IMG_0006.jpg

paint the axle centers black. Limestone deposits look OK. need a little rust. Find photos of the prototype in color as a guide. Next up , get an airbrush for the soot and traction sand dust.

Thanks Y3a, I have an airbrush but Ive been concerned about paint getting into electronics or mechanisms when spraying that bottom part. Think I'll post on the prototype forum to see if someone can find a New Haven 282.

the paint shouldn't get into the electronics. I painted many of my engines with airbrush. I do coat the rails I run the model over when painting them with 30 weight oil. It coats the wheels too, which keeps the paint off. I spray in the direction the wind would flow over the loco. I spray from rail level slightly upwards for the sand/dust, and from the top towards the back for the coal soot.

Example: also note fake coal cinders glowing in the ash pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMOheyKsi-4

Very good work so far!

I would also tone down with a filter and/or wash the lettering on both the cab and tender. Y3a's excellent example shows this (toned down / weathered lettering).

Keep up the good work.

Yannis

Hopefully this weekend I'll get to do more. Thanks. I actually found the locomotive and will use that as a guide.
IMG_0059.JPG

If you have an old electric motor that you can gut, use some of the wire from the armature for the whistle rope to the cab. Same for the bell. A little clear gloss as water around the water hatch on the tender.

Back