moermusic

My original set from 1988, was for my 4 yr old son. Still runs. IMG_0395_1.jpg

Same way I got started. (A large layout went by the wayside when I was a teenager) A local store was getting out of hobby stuff and had a Bachmann set with an 0-6-0 steamer and the typical set of cars, track and transformer for $15. I got it and set it up on a 4X4 and it was my son's Christmas present. This was 1983 (I think.) Part of that 4X4 is still in the current layout.

I still have my first steamer from the real early 60's. A cast iron 0-6-0 with little detailing. Traded a 2 Cent Piece for the locomotive at a Coin & Hobby shop. Found the 2 Cent Piece in my change from the store. It looked like a dime.

Greg

My original set from 1988, was for my 4 yr old son. Still runs.View attachment 30241
Are those converted to Kadee couplers, or were the McHenry already in use by 1988?

We can often say ill things of the "toy" train sets, but it is amazing how many of them still run after years and years of child abuse. I started with Marx equipment. Slammed it straight from full power forward to full power reverse more times than one can count. Used it to ram many a slot car crossing the tracks. Marx was probably at least one step down from Bachmann's stuff of this era. I've been trying to recreate what I had back then, but when ebay says "really we have everything" - they lie. Been looking for years and can't find all the things from that set.

Back